Monday, December 6, 2021

Tack Making

     Recently, I seem to have been getting some new horses that seem like they would be excellent for performance, if only I could find tack to fit them correctly. I already ran into the issue with Astrid, who has a surprisingly dainty head, and I also ran into it with Ansel. He's shaped like a Morgan, not surprisingly at all, and tack fitting has not been simple. Though I semi-recently bought a black pleasure saddle from Joan Yount, which she had made to fit a short backed Arabian. That happens to fit very nicely on my very round, short backed horse. but his head was way too big for any of my bridles. So I decided I would make one. And since it seems Morgan horse pleasure favors romel reins (at least in the majority if the photos I saw) I decided to go that route. I ordered a bunch of supplies from Rio Rondo... and then they sat. 
     But Saturday was the day! I was going to finally make that bridle. So I pulled out a pile of bits and piece I might need and I got to work. 
     First I discovered the joys of trying to get two piece of leather lace through the crimp bead so I could make loops. It was hard, but not impossible.
    Once I had a finished cheek piece I tried it on the horse again... and discovered the joy of taking apart a thing you just finished because it is a bit too long. Grr!
     Eventually though, I have most of a headstall, minus the curb chain I forgot, and minus reins since for some reason NONE of the beads I had ordered from Rio Rondo fit the 1mm lace, only the .5mm. Another grr. I started looking into putting together and order but quickly realized almost everything I wanted for beads was out of stock. And then I remembered Joann's has crimp beads. I thought I might be able to find stuff there. And I was right. So I got some stuff locally, came home and finished the bridle. I also got the saddle on and a doll, and I felt everything had come together well. Though it was way too dark to get any decent photos. 
    Sunday morning though, was bright and sunny! The perfect chance to get out and get some photos of Ansel in his new and new-to-him tack. I think he and his rider look pretty good together. 
     I also think the bridle came together pretty well considering I have never made one like this before. 
        It is not overwhelmingly complex or super plain. It's a nice look for this horse. 
And this particular shot just makes me happy. 
      I have a western side saddle ordered for no particular reason other than I don't own a western side saddle. From what I have seen western side saddle also has a preference for romel reins so I have another bridle planned, though who knows when I will make it. And Astrid needs a western bridle for her little dainty head. Looks like I have plenty of tack projects in my future.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also LOVE that last photo! Ansel is one of my top favorite models.