Saturday, June 4, 2022

Tiny Things

      I keep on thinking about canceling my subscription to Maggie's Monthly Micros. I may paint a micro once or twice a year, but definitely not once a month. And while I like many of them, my collection has been small for years, on purpose. I need to cut things down just to the pieces I really love. Honestly, I also would usually rather just search for one that someone else has painted that I love. I'm still in a bit of a funk with collecting, and nothing is really screaming to me to be bought/painted/played with. Escape Foot Callie came last month, she's cool, but I don't need her. I even forgot to list her for sale. How's that for lack of motivation?
      May's micro is Cisco, who is Fabian's Fjord, and that alone is a really cool thing. I also really like this model. Cisco will stay with me, at least for a while, maybe I will even paint him, or get him painted, who knows. He's super cute. But I still have so many that I need to sell. They don't take up much room, but they are not doing me any good sitting in baggies next to the computer. 
     School is still weird. I have kids that really think because it is near the end of the school year that we just can stop working all together. They don't seem to get the concept that they are in high school, and you just can't stop working because it's Friday, the day/week before a vacation, the day/week after a vacation, the day/week before a big test, the day/week after a big test. These are all actual arguments they have tried to make at one point or another this year. Or "I'm tired" the real world is going to smack these kids in the face and they won't know what happened. I'd like to say it was just the freshman that say things like this, but it wasn't. I can't make them want to learn. I can't make them want to put in effort. I can't make them see that working hard can actually be beneficial to them. If it's not on their phones, they don't care. I really hate the phones in the classroom and I wish we would ban them like Chicopee did. Some people have argued that that means the teachers should lead by example and also not be on their phones. The vast majority of teachers I know do not use their phones during class. Most teachers don't swear near the kids, but many kids swear every other word. Most teachers work really hard, while most of the kids don't care and rush through their work to get back to their phones. Leading by example only works if the people you are leading care AT ALL and want to try to emulate you in some way. It's been a super frustrating loop of "put your phone away" usually followed by "I'm listening", which is then immediately followed by "what are we doing?" because they were not listening. I'm really tired and really happy that the year is over soon. Almost there. 

2 comments:

timaru star ii said...

Poor kid. Hang in there. Summer's coming; but those kids will remember you, whether they admit it or not.

Gretchen H said...

Yes, it's gotten to be like that. It's not going to get better until enough parents want change. But when you have moms tell you they want to be able to reach their kids at any time...well.