Youth doll feet are one of the worst parts of any doll. They are tiny, barely foot shaped and useless for building leather boots on. So not only do I have to remake the upper arms of the doll and the thighs, I also have to remake the feet. I have done that in several ways but yesterday I thought I would try something a little different and see how it came out. And I took photos to document the process. It is not a perfect system but I like the direction it's going.And here is the finished little lady. Her feet are pretty nice and she rides very well. I think the slightly new style of foot making is here to stay.
First we start with regular, awful, youth doll feet.The really do have a funny shape. It's also odd that the Breyer doll with the largest hands (larger than the cowboy even) has the tinniest feet. Oh well, I'll fix that......that's better. Now I just have a stubb which really isn't much better than tiny youth doll feet. But I can work with this. First I take my specialty tool (which is a large, sharp, yarn needle with a handle made from Gapoxio) and poke two holes in the part I cut. Then I will stick in a thick wire that is bent in a "U" shape.
It seems to be working out so far. Let's keep going. The next step is to wrap the wire with gauze and medical tape in the same way I would for remaking arms and legs.
Not bad. It's foot shaped! And unlike wrapping around the original youth doll foot this one is actually pretty flat on the bottom. I think I am liking the wire in the middle of the stubb. Let's make some boots and see how that comes out...
...not too bad. They are boot shaped and after a bit of washing to get the extra glue off they should be pretty nice. I think the only thing I would do differently next time is a tiny bit less gauze in the middle so the feet will be a bit smaller before the boots is built on. But these are pretty good feet I think.