Wednesday, May 5, 2021

The Ugly State is Long

      This past weekend I decided to get back into my CM project. The prepping was done, or as done as I was going to make it, and the base coat was on. I was ready for pastels.
     I recently bought some new brushes on the recommendation of someone, but I can't remember who, or even where I saw it. It was likely in the NaMoPaiMo group. Anyway, it is a big set of brushes, super cheap, and they work incredibly well! This horse went from unbleached titanium to yellow with just one layer. It was cool!
I made him yellow once more I think (or maybe not). and then moved into the raw sienna layer. 
      I was loosely following along with Stephanie Blaylock's how to pastel a bay horse tutorial from Jennifer Buxton's blog
I kept on going and I had a very ugly, orange and yellow horse. 
     There is an awful lot of ugly stage in doll making, so the ugly stage of a thing doesn't really scare me. 
Though I have very little pasteling/painting experience, which makes the ugly stage a little bit scarier. 
      This was a lot of layers in, I have no idea how many, and man is this horse ugly. 
But I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. 
      Every time I go out and spray a layer of sealer the light goes out. 
     And then I keep on going. I am becoming less horrified by the color. He's finally starting to turn bay. 
     It took a couple of days (I don't have tons of time) and lots and lots of layers, but I am starting to see what this horse can potentially look like. And I like it. It is not an amazing example of LSQ finish work. It is still grainy and a bit weird in places. But it is the first traditional horse I have pasteled. The first horse I have customized. And I kind of like him. I am going to keep on going. 
      So here's a tip for everyone who is new, because I certainly am. You are not going to be a master out of the gate (highly unlikely anyway). You may make a total piece of trash. BUT... pretty much anything is fixable. At the beginning my horse had a weird ugly giraffe neck and I didn't know if I could fix it. But I did. It is not perfect, but it is a performance horse so I didn't work as hard to fix it as I could have. The color is not perfect, but it is starting to come together. When this horse is done I will likely adore him. Because he's pretty nice. Because he has character. Because I am setting goals for myself and (slowly) reaching them. For an experienced artist this horse would likely not be a big deal. This is all new to me and it is a very big deal. I am going to finish my custom horse and put him to work. But first I have to finish him. Soon. 










 

2 comments:

Mini Hoofbeats Studio said...

I like what you said about not being a "Master out of the Gate," because I am a natural-born artist who have been sculpting since age 3. Now, I'm not admitting that just to be all high and mighty, it's just stating that I've been working with my gift for a long time. It makes me sad when I run into people who deem themselves not good enough before they even try upon hearing that I'm an "artist." I'm not Norman Rockwell or Michelangelo...or simply the Art Goddess, I'm not perfect - it took me years to successfully draw people (and I haven't even attempted drawing hands, yet! They are my worst nightmare!) What about sculpting? Hooves are a nightmare, too - enough that I want to avoid working on one of my current projects! But, I know all of it needs practice, motivation, and the urge to "just do it!" So, for all of you reading this, don't worry about how great this other person is. It doesn't matter if they started when they were 2 or 100, everyone starts out somewhere. And to keep advancing, you gotta work at it, stay motivated with it. If you need to take a break from it and study it for a while - that's OK, I do that all the time, it's how I find the things that I need to improve. If it's not your cup of tea, try a different avenue. But above all else, don't give up because you're not a "Master at the Gate," work at it! To become a master, you have to nurture your gift...not 'till it's where you want it, but continue it until the day you die.

timaru star ii said...

Really agree here! Go for it -- great horse.