Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Happy New Year!

     Happy New Year! Today is the first day of 2020. How weird is that? I remember 20 years ago (yesterday) I was at a New Year's Eve party at my brother John's apartment. It was probably the biggest party I have ever been to. Somewhere I have a picture from that party. My hair is WAY better these days!
      Yesterday I did my year end review. It was an interesting year. And what did I finish up at the tail end of the decade? I finished the jockey, which for the past month was causing me a huge mental block. I don't know why, some dolls just do that. Every step of working on them is a super struggle and it seems to take forever to get them done. But I managed it. And it feels amazing!
    I was also back to hairing heads in the laundromat. Because, that is what I do. It was sort of too cold for it, they set the heat on 60 in there and I don't think it is ever actually 60 because the doors are always opening and the entire front wall is giant, drafty windows. So it's really chilly in there. I managed to hair a couple of heads anyway. 

       When I got home I thought about working some more on the western pleasure doll that I need to make, but I decided I needed to do some cleaning and sorting. Somehow my crap pile on the kitchen table has gotten out of control. Again. So I dug through it and put Travis's important papers in his important stuff binder, put shipping confirmation slips and receipts in my order book and actually did my year end numbers for my doll business. And I really do make more money making dolls than being a paraprofessional. It's funny, but not funny.
     In my sorting I found a bunch of things I needed to put away for prizes for my next live sale, which will be at the end of March. I found the galaxy looking dog collar that I got from Sara Bowman during her live sale. I went and dug out my hound to put it on. And now the hound, who sadly has no name, is hanging out on the shelf with Tiny Abby. 
        I did more cleaning and sorting and I started to work on food prep for today. We celebrate New Year's day in a big way. Lots of food, gifts, people coming over. It's a good time. Elecktra and Peter will be over later and I'm pretty excited. It sucks that I have to go back to work tomorrow, but I only have to work 2 days and then it will be the weekend. I might make it. Maybe. 
        One of the things I am making today is mini low carb calzones. I actually made this particular batch for the Christmas party at my parents' house last Sunday, but I want to try the fathead dough with almond flour and see if it is any more flexible than with the coconut flour so I can stuff more pepperoni into them. I have goals. Though these were really good, even though some of them were ugly. All of my normal eating (not low carb) family loved them. 
      I'm going to do a buffalo chicken dip in the crock pot and you need things to dip into a dip, so I made some almond flour crackers. I also dropped the container on the floor, it burst open and spilled about half of them out. Not cool, rolling them out is a lot of work. 
     I did also make some low carb tortilla chips. These are also really hard to roll out, but totally worth it. They are made from a slightly different fathead dough and are really good, really sturdy and I am looking forward to eating them. With and without dip. 
     Today is the first day of the new year, the first day of a new decade and the first blog of the new year. Last year I managed to post quite a lot. I am wondering if I can manage every day this year. Probably not, I know some of my posts probably got a bit boring. I need some new ideas and some guest posts! That would help. Maybe I can get Elecktra to finally finish that post she told me months ago that she would write. 
     Oh, it's January 1st. NaMoPaiMo is coming. Are your horses prepped?

1 comment:

timaru star ii said...

Congratulations on overcoming a 'huge mental block!' I know how that feels! Now I've just got to imitate you...! The jockey looks charming.