Monday, September 28, 2020

Third First Day of School and Lynn is Awesome

       Yesterday was the third first day of school. What does that mean? Sort of what it sounds like. If you work in a school, or remember back to when you were in school, you know that first day of school feeling. A little nervous, kind of excited and hopeful. We had that back on August 28th for the first, first day of school, even though it was the beginning of two weeks of PD. We hadn't seen each other for 6 months, it was a big deal. Then last Monday we had our second first day of school. The kids who are allowed 4 days a week in person (and chose it) started. They were the only students in the building. Yesterday, cohort A of the freshman started. It was our 3rd first day of school. And it was different. We have a group of kids who is new to the building, so they don't know their way around yet, and they have to follow one way hallways. So this morning we all went out into the hallways to help kids find their way. I walked a few to different places (science is especially hard to get to!) and then ended up taking an extended walk around the school because I kept forgetting that the stairs I needed to get down to the hallway where my government class is are up stairs, and I needed to go down. There were some hiccups and some kids late for class, but we all worked it out. Only one of my classes today had actual in-person kids in it. It will definitely take some getting used to. On Thursday we will will have the cohort B kids in school. Just the freshman this week. It will be the 4th first day of school. Next week the sophomores start, the week after the juniors, and then the seniors. That is a lot of first days. I am wondering how things will be when everyone is in-person. Even though it won't be everyone all at once.
      So I am a bad friend. Lynn Isenbarger sent me a lovely gift a week or two ago (somehow I have lost track of time) and I didn't even talk about it! Lynn is helping feed my newish flamingo obsession and she sent me this beautiful haversack that I used as a backdrop but didn't actually share properly. 
      There was an adorable little friend tucked inside. Between the several varieties of flamingos in my yard, and now the 2 small sizes in my house, I now have a pretty good collection of flamingos. That is overshadowed by my collection of pigs, Breyer dogs and of course, horses. Apparently I just collect animals. And tack. And props. I need an intervention. Or a bigger house. Lynn also sent me enough of this cool fabric that I can make another mask. That will be awesome!
           School is definitely still weird, it is strange having kids in person when we only had them virtually for so long. I also don't know who any of them are because even though I have been looking at them for weeks my tech has been acting up so much I barely could see everyone and see their names. It's also a lot easier to recognize people wearing masks if you already know them well. I spotted one of my students from 2 years ago in Walmart and I totally recognized her and she recognized me. It's a bit trickier with the new ones. Especially since I am again seeing the backs of their heads. One girl has gorgeous red hair with chunky purple highlights, it's awesome! Sooner or later I will either learn everyone's name or it will get to the point where I just don't know who they are and it's too late to try. We'll see how it goes. I have another 1st day tomorrow after all to try it again.











 

2 comments:

Lynn Isenbarger said...

I literally started in my chair when I saw the title of this post! Thank you for the compliment and I am glad you like the haversack, fabric, and flamingo. What is this bad friend stuff?? IMO, you are a very good, and dear, friend. :)

timaru star ii said...

I'm echoing Lynn, and, by the way, Gandalf, who said, It's unwise to take names to yourself. Tired and distracted I can understand, even depressed, but bad should be banned.

And that is a cute little flamingo.