Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Casual English Dolls

     There are some things I know and some things I don't know, all in relation to productivity. Before I had my studio space I thought that I was likely going to be able to be more productive if/when I had a dedicated space. At the time, I had nothing to back that up, but it was what I thought. Now that I actually have the dedicated space it has proven to be true. Last night, around 8:00, I decided I wanted to cut out some doll clothes. So I did. Then I felt like sewing them. So I did. The sewing machine was already out and plugged in. I had moved it onto the floor to put my laptop on the desk for the live studio session, but it was not hard to put it back up. So I worked for a bit, later in the evening, because I felt like it. I also had had a horrendously bad day where so many issues cropped up with non-doll things that I was frustrated with how much time I felt like I had wasted. 
     After a couple of hours I had not only cut out and sewn a couple of outfits but also started dressing the dolls. I got pretty far and my mood was very much improved. It also kept me in a good mood knowing I didn't have to clean anything up. I just left everything where it was on the desk, turned the light off, and left the room. It felt good. 
    So then today, I was feeling lazy and tired and actually ended up taking a nap mid-morning. Eventually though I got the urge to go and do a bit more work on the dolls. I started on the boots for both of the ladies, and then took this funny photo that went on Instagram. Sometimes you just need to be silly. And I need to remind myself to send this cowboy off to the Mares in Black for the Resin Renaissance show. But it's July 4th and the post office is not open today. I can wait until tomorrow. 
    I decided to watch a couple of episodes of Outlander and hair heads, but then it was back to the studio to paint faces. And to paint the boot bottoms. I usually use a black Prismacolor marker (I mentioned this during the live studio time) but mine is running out and doesn't make things very black anymore. Paint seemed like a better option. And, since everything is so easy to get to, it was not a big deal to take out the paint and get all of this done. 
    After that I put together a couple of removable helmets to match the dolls and got some more photos. 
     And just like that, I finished a couple of dolls. I started them last night and completed them today. Nothing was stressful, I feel like I was super productive, and I am really pleased about it. 
     So now I know for sure, having the studio is making me more productive. What I don't know is if it will last. I imagine it will go in waves. Sometimes I am very motivated to work. Sometimes I am not. I am really glad that I am currently as motivated as I am. I go back to work tomorrow and I won't have quite as much free time in the day. But the summer program is only a few hours a day, only 4 days a week, and only for 5 weeks. It will still give me all afternoon to work on dolls. Or all afternoon to go out and play and all evening to work on dolls. Whatever I feel like doing. 
     Both dolls are now sold.

1 comment:

timaru star ii said...

Love this post! Also, it reminds me of a sentence from way back in my carousel fever years, 30 years ago: "One pony had lost his head, he received a new one."
[Referring to refurbishing a carousel]