Thursday, July 13, 2023

The FOMO is Real

      Earlier today I happened to be wasting some time on Facebook and I saw this Facebook memory from 6 years ago. And I reposted it. It is still true, one of these years I will be in Kentucky in July. This is not that year. And this year, the FOMO is real. 
    FOMO (fear of missing out) is an odd thing. I often don't really think too much about what I might be missing out on. Sure, there are things that I would like to do, but most of the time if I can't do them I am just sort of OK about it. But Breyerfest is one of those things that I really want to do. And not so much for Breyerfest. I feel like I am missing out on all those hobby people. And I am, for sure. Yes, there are real horses and there are model horses, and tack and props, and so much cool stuff! But there are those hobby people. Those weirdos that are my tribe. Even though I am not as into model horse things as I was, the love is not gone, and model horse people love a lot of the things I love. Like, horses, tiny things, horses, being weird. To be fair, I don't know if model horse people like being weird or just are weird. And not all are, but most are. And I do love weird people!
    I know there is virtual Breyerfest, and I do have a ticket, but I don't know how much I will participate. I have had a virtual ticket every year since 2020 and I have not fully participated. Some of it is not wanting to sit at the computer all day for several days. Some of it is that I am not super into OF models so even if I think they are gorgeous I am somewhat less likely to purchase them. A couple of years ago I was ALL IN with Breyer. Now I remember that I am not an OF collector and I have downsized every part of my collection. Again. I have been thinking about live showing again. Maybe I will do that sometime soon. Soon is relative. 
    So last night I was thinking about Breyerfest, thinking of all those hobby friends I have never met in real life, and all the ones I have that I have not seen in a long time. And I was thinking about July in Kentucky. I was thinking about travel, the cost of it, staying in hotels, how to get to places with a car or without since there is often a parking issue. I need to figure out the logistics of going to Breyerfest. That will ease my brain a little bit I think. I will admit, I am a little bit afraid to do new things when I don't know what to expect or what to do. I don't need to know all the things, but I do need to know some of the things. Like, I know I will not get a room in the CHIN, that is just not a thing that is going to happen since those rooms are always booked a year in advance. Or really, until someone gives up their room. I do know there are other hotels nearby, and I have heard there is a shuttle... but does it go between the hotels? So could we get to the CHIN for room sales? Or should I rent a car and pray to the parking gods? I also have not actually flown since before 9/11 and all I did was get on the plane. I didn't do any of the planning, my sister did. So there is a lot I need to learn. And a lot of saving that I need to do. But I am an excellent researcher and really good at saving money. 
     So I will not be at Breyerfest this weekend, which is nothing new since I have never been to Breyerfest. But I am tentatively planning to be there next year. Hopefully I can have a whole lot of dolls to bring, and hopefully I can find a friend or friends to let me sell out of their room. I want to see people, that is what I mostly want out of Breyerfest. It will be nice to be there, in person, I am sure, but it is not the horses, live or model, that I am looking forward to. It is meeting and spending time with hobby friends. That is my ultimate goal. For now I guess I will manage my FOMO by looking at posts and putting tattoos on dolls. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad Anne--maybe we virtual/online people can stay in contact with each other via comments or text---so the FOMO won't be so bad??
I (like you & others) hope I can attend next year in person! My thing is-- I hate anything virtual with a passion (sort of for the reasons you gave--I ain't one for sitting in front of a computer for hours!! It's just not the same as interacting with real "live" people/animals!)
The downside for me this year is discovering that little bit by little bit that my health is going a little downhill!(NO way could I run a marathon like you--haha! my knees would buckle!(they already don't wanna hold me up! heh!)
Another thing is--I don't like trying to predict that far into the future!(NOT wanting to be a "negative Nancy", but anymore, ya just don't know what 's gonna happen!) I wouldn't mind sharing a room with you(if you did come!!) Don't know how weird I'd be though!
I DO like what you're doing with your tattooed doll tho!! Maybe(if I haven't spent all of my money by this weekend) I could buy one if you have any for sale??

timaru star ii said...

The tattoos say it all.