Tuesday, April 2, 2019

I Work in Weird Places

    A lot of model horse artists have studios. Or at least a small, dedicated or mostly dedicated studio space. I am not one of those people. I work in odd places. I have worked next to the swimming pool while Travis took lessons. I have worked out in my yard, sometimes at the picnic table and sometimes sitting on a blanket in the grass. I often work sitting up in bed with a tray on my lap (it's very nice for my back). I have worked in other artist's studios and at my parents' kitchen table. I have worked in several places in school. Last year I actually had a desk and a shared classroom and I did doll work at my desk. This year I am all over the place, have no desk, no space to call my own and I have all my important stuff in a backpack. So I work wherever there is enough privacy not to get weird looks. This morning it was sitting on a table in Angelique's room. Because I just didn't feel like sitting in a chair today. First period I have no class to be in normally so I had a bit of time to work on the mens cutting chaps from last week. 
     This afternoon I worked on cutting out my fabric from Spoonflower in the laundromat. The laundromat is actually an incredibly nice place to work. They have comfy couches, end tables if I need that sort of thing and I couldn't care less if people look at me weirdly. So I got all my different pieces of fabric separated and stacked and finished up the mens cutting chaps. I felt fairly accomplished. I did also get the laundry done. Yay for multitasking!
     When I got home I started supper and got out the sewing machine to sew the clothes I cut out yesterday. I sew at my kitchen table. Currently my sewing machine needs to be stored in Travis's closet. It used to live under the kitchen table (have I mentioned our lack of space?) but we are going to be taking that wall down soon to redo insulation and I don't even know what else. So it needed to move. I got 3 of the 4 outfits sewn before I decided I had really had enough. Tuesdays are very busy days for me. I'm sort of amazed I got any doll work done at all. 
      So at this point I still have a good amount of bodies already prepped and ready to be dressed. I have 3 outfits sewn so I can get started dressing the dolls. I have worked on pieces of dolls at school, in the laundromat and in my kitchen. And that was just today! Tomorrow we have track finally, so I might not have any time to get any doll work done. But maybe I can at least take a half hour or 45 minutes when we get home and while supper is cooking to start to get someone dressed. I need to keep picking away at the dolls. Sooner or later I will even finish them. 
     The unusual items I was searching for for a doll I need to make have been found! Well, not exactly found, I figured out I can make them. I am not sure if the doll is a secret so I can't share any more about it just yet. Though I will find out if it's OK to talk about it. It's going to be very interesting to make.

1 comment:

timaru star ii said...

I have made tack on airplanes, in airports, in cars and in hotels. My best case is on a ship in the Pacific -- that was a field experiment in the 90s. But so far, never in the canoe. :) Hurray for the laundromat!