Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Sometimes My Job is Cool

     One of the classes I have this year is a general chemistry class. Most of the time it is very boring and just involves a lot of math. Every once in awhile though we get to do something cool in a lab. 
    Today we were burning snack foods to figure out how many calories are in them. Or something like that. There was something about the temperature of the water in the can having to do with the number of calories. Or the change in mass of the snack after burning it. Probably something about both of them together in a math problem. I am not entirely sure. I do know the kids had a good time. And when you burn Cheetos, Doritos and Kettle Chips, they release a whole bunch of oily sludge. Makes me VERY glad I don't eat that stuff anymore!
    Anyway, after the stuff is burnt the kids took the mass of each item again and calculated the change in temperature of the water and change in mass of the snack item. If nothing else it was fun and interesting. Once in awhile we get something like that. 
     I know the fact that I am not really sure what the lab is about makes me sound unintelligent. But I stopped paying attention to the lessons when the teacher started treating me like one of the students (so, months ago). So I scribe for a kid (which is actually my job in that class) and supervise lab groups. But I often don't know what the work is about. Which frustrates me, but there isn't really anything I can do about it. I help when I can.
     It being Tuesday it is also laundry day. And since there was a new Mares In Black podcast I decided I needed to do some more doll work today. I thoroughly enjoyed my doll-free day yesterday and feel very refreshed and was ready to do some more work. So I got the mens cutting chaps done that I started weeks ago. I also cut out some clothes for the cowboy doll I need to make for myself. I doubt he is getting done by this weekend. And that is just how it is. 
    I also worked on getting some trim on Laura's Arabian rider. Her head got haired too, even though it doesn't much matter since she will have a veil. At least I will know she has hair. I still have to make her some boots, take in the bottoms of her pants, paint her face, do the veil and see how she looks after that. But she is coming along. I still have only a couple of details left on Anna's vaulting doll. But that will need to wait a little bit more. No more doll work today.
    Since I finally got the mens chaps done I decided to take a group shot of these 3. I started them together and worked on bits and pieces of them together. Sometimes I will start a doll and work on only that one doll until it is done. But recently I have been working mostly in batches. I get done whatever thing is the most convenient to work on at the time. For instance, I can hair heads at school and maybe cut out and assemble chaps, but not too much else. It was convenient to put trim on the Arabian rider doll in the laundromat but not to make boots. All of these casual/working dolls have removable chaps and are technically for sale even though they are not listed anywhere. 
   Tomorrow is the first meet for the unified track team. I really hope the weather is decent. That would be good. I should make sure to bring my real camera so I can get pics of everyone. I am the officially unofficial photographer for the team after all. I likely will have no time for doll work since the meet starts at 3:30 and they are usually at least a couple of hours. We'll see though, maybe I can sneak in a few things. Friday Travis has a half day so I am taking a half day and hopefully I can get a chunk of doll work done then. Only 5 days until Long Island Model Horse Expo!

1 comment:

timaru star ii said...

I wish I could listen to MIB in the tack shop - that would be a step up! Someday... I remember in jr high burning a peanut vs a sugar cube and I was so sure the sugar would last longer, hah.
And it's a good thing I don't have to choose between those dolls -- they are all superb! I still don't know how you do them.