Saturday, June 11, 2022

Some Assembly Required

     One of the neat things about my job is getting big boxes of dolls and doll parts in the mail. One of the hardest parts of my job is getting big boxes of dolls and doll parts in the mail. The dolls I got this time around were the new Lilith doll from White Elephant toys. I also got a whole bunch of hands, feet, heads and boobs. Yup, my job is super weird. The first thing I did was to take all of the separate parts out of the individual bags. And I died a little inside. It is always rough opening up a doll order and knowing how much plastic I am adding to the environment. It's even rougher after showing the kids multiple videos about what all of that plastic is doing to the environment, especially to the oceans. I have not found a solution to the problem yet. I guess the slightly good news is the dolls come in less plastic than they used to. It's still a lot. 
    Anyway, on a better note, I know that many people have run into issues with the Yvonne-type dolls having shoulders pop out of the socket. This batch of dolls has some of the most insanely tight arm joints! I actually really struggled to get the arms in on several of the dolls. But I managed it, eventually. 
     So now I have a nice stack of ready-to-use dolls, a bunch of feet in high heeled shoes, and the "monster hands" that I actually don't have a use for that I know of. And I have a ton of Lilith dresses, just in case anyone needs one. Now I just need to get into making some dolls. I have SO MANY dolls! I still have most of my big order of Lena dolls. I think I have used one of those. I have some weirdly colored dolls I got from Classic TV Toys that are not good for anything without paint. I still have tan Yvonnes, pale white Yvonnes, black Yvonnes, oliveish skinned Yvonnes, some of the little Yvonnes. I have dolls. I have actually made some dolls recently. Not many, but I have done some. And I will talk about them sooner or later.
        I have been feeling less than awesome about myself lately. I gained quite a bit of weight this school year and I am kind of mad about it. So today, since I was kind of tired, but the weather was good, I decided that we needed to go for a short hike. I have been wanting to get out into the woods and since whining about my weight (even just in my own head) is not going to do anything to help, I figured I would get motivated and get out in the woods. 
       I have never seen that much standing water in the woods, ever. There were spots on the trail that had to have been a foot deep and 30 feet long! There were so many mosquitos and gnats, and they really kind of ruined the woods. We did so much swatting and shaking our arms I made jokes that we needed to put our arms into the workout. Which was at least kind of funny. The amount of bugs was not funny though. So now I am in a struggly place with hiking. I want to go out in the woods. I want to be able to take my time and enjoy nature. But the bugs are so intense it makes me want to not go in the woods. It's very frustrating. 
       One more day of the weekend and then only 3 more days of school. Monday is the only day I have kids taking any finals, and then I am done. Tuesday I might have a kid or two show up for DLT, but then I don't have another class so I am done with students all together after that. I should have time to finish putting together the chemistry binder, so whoever teaches chemistry next year can have an easier time of it. I already started rehoming some of my classroom stuff. A lot of the puzzles and games have been gifted and I kept a few of the puzzles for me. Maybe once in a while I will need to pull out a puzzle and get it done. That could be fun. I am sure I probably have at least a few more things that I will need to rehome. I am going to have to take down all of the coloring sheets. That will be weird. Every time anyone finishing a coloring sheet I hung them up around the room. We have a good collection at this point. I should take some photos before I take them all down. Almost done. 


 

No comments: