Thursday, June 9, 2022

Updates



      It turns out that Elecktra and I had not managed to get a photo together since we went to Bright Nights in December. And that photo was crap, lol. So last Saturday, we had a small party for Travis's birthday and Elecktra and I finally remembered to get a pic together. Crystal came too, we also got a photo together, but we have definitely taken better photos together so I will leave that one out. Elecktra and I did not actually plan to wear matching outfits, it just sort of happened. 

      So school is nearly done for the year. I think I am also finally done creating reviews and finals, making answer keys, and in general just getting ready for the end. I am figuring out where to rehome a lot of the things I got for the classroom. I don't need all of the things after all. Especially something like 15 or so 100 piece puzzles. So I will share them with different teacher friends, keep a few of my favorites, and if need be, I can recycle them. But I would rather rehome them if I can. Probably most of the games I got as well. I don't have use for most of them. Either because I have a duplicate or we just are not necessarily interested in them. But teachers like free stuff. And free stuff that can be used to entertain kids if they are done with their work early is stuff that many teachers are definitely into. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      I started this post several days ago and then I got busy. Today was the last full day of school and the first final. So even though the other day I was done making finals and answer keys, this morning I decided to revise the 7th period final. I felt they needed a few things changed up, so I did that while my 1st period class finished watching Wall-E. Seeing as it's environmental science class, it fit perfectly. 

      One of my students brought me these flowers from her garden. It was really sweet and made my morning! They brightened up the room all day (not that my classroom is dull, but pink flowers make things even better). The day went pretty well, the first final went well, and the last full day of the school year is finished. And I am thrilled. 
     Tomorrow we have the period 1 and period 2 finals. They are double blocks, so the kids will have plenty of time to get the work done. One or two of them will be grumpy, I am sure, when I tell them that they need to put their phones away for it. But work doesn't get done when they are playing on their phones. Or they google things instead of using their notes. It's all very frustrating. The classes I have tomorrow are super small, the kids are usually really nice, so it should be a very peaceful end to the week. Plus it's only a half day. I will have 3 hours to grade the finals, and I don't think I will need much of it. The answer keys are made, and as I mentioned, the classes are really small. So tomorrow may be the day I start sorting and deciding what things I am keeping and what things I am letting go of. It's gonna be weird. 

    A lot of  my students seem to refuse to believe that I won't be their teacher next year. Every time they ask, and I say no, they ask if I am leaving. I tell them no, but I am not actually a teacher (I have reminded them several times this year that I am in fact just subbing). I remind them that I am a para, and will likely still see them all over the place. And they keep asking me. I don't know if they like me or like the fact that I let them use notes on the tests. I am a little afraid I will be bored being a para again next year. There is not constantly something to do like there is with teaching. At least not in high school. And going back to maybe not knowing the material does not sound fun (it's so much easier to learn it when you have to pre-learn it to teach it, then teach it and so on!).

School is almost done and it will be a couple of weeks before the summer program starts, but that is only a few hours a day. I will have more time to work on dolls, which I really should get back to more often. I'll have more time to read, more time to do nothing. I am not actually sure I am even capable of doing nothing. But I could give it a try. Doing nothing out in nature sounds nice. I should have time for that sort of thing. 
     
    I have a guest post coming up, though I am not yet sure when I will post it. I have not even opened the email, just looked at the preview. I am still in that lack of time phase of things. But things are getting better. And boring. I had to watch kids take a test today. I didn't actually have anything to do when I was not actively checking in to see if they needed any guidance. I don't know if I can go back to that. Boredom is awful. And expensive. If I have too much boring time I will shop. I can't afford to be bored, lol. 

1 comment:

timaru star ii said...

There is a difference between doing nothing and being bored. Doing nothing is a good thing, comparable to recharging your batteries. I bet you can do it. :) Boredom seems to me to indicate that you have to do the same thing over and over without any happiness or hope or reward in it. Think about a reward other than spending: perhaps allowing yourself to do something different?