Thursday, June 29, 2023

In Training… Again

     I did it again. I signed up for the Breyerfest virtual 5K. Which means I have signed up for another 5K that I haven't properly trained for. I was sort of trained for the Desforges Challenge, though definitely not totally since that also consisted of a bunch of (watered down) marine obstacles. I did make it through that, with better time than last year, but I have been busy with so many other things the past couple of months I haven't done any hiking or running pretty much since the Desforges Challenge, which was at the end of April. So I have a couple of weeks to get ready for the Breyerfest 5K. Lol, this is a bad idea! But I am going to give it a try anyway. Which means getting started. 
     So I went to the LHS track yesterday. It was not a nice looking day, parts of the track were wet (and slippery) and it was super humid. Kind of like running in Kentucky in July I would imagine. As always, I had no plan to run the entire time. So I stretched, did a warm up lap walking, which got progressively faster, and then I did intervals of running. And it often felt like I was running through mud. Back to that I see. *sigh* I did it to myself. 
* 
    But I met my goal, I did a bit over a mile, and I didn't feel light headed or nauseous, no shin splints, so I'd call that a win. I also seem to have misplaced my wireless headphones, which is a huge pain to not have those while running. That will need to be remedied soon. Prime says by 10:00pm today. 
     My Fitbit says I had an average page of an 18 minute mile. Which is pretty sad considering I can walk a 15 minute mile. But I guess my sprints were slow and my recovery walks were even slower than normal. But no shin splints. I live to fight another day. 
     My Fitbit also says I did a little over a mile, but it was also more than was registered on here. I did a full lap before I turned on the run feature. I didn't want my warm up to count towards my time. Not that my time was all that good anyway. But I did it. And then I came home and did some sit-ups. That is actually a goal for the Desforge's Challenge for next year. If I start now, with just as many as I can do (7 is how many I could do yesterday) then by next year, at the end of April, I should be able to do however many are needed for the challenge. I will do some more today. Since I already have sore abs maybe it will be less than 7. Maybe more. I won't know until I do it. 
     I am likely not going to run today, but I am going to go out for a hike in the woods. Maybe I will run a bit, some of the trails are incredibly inviting for running. But I will at least get out and stretch all my walking muscles. I have done an insane amount of walking and lifting in the past several weeks, but now I will focus on the idea of building up my running endurance. Again. And maybe this time I won't lose it. Will I be ready for the Breyerfest 5K? If by ready we mean, will I be able to run all those miles without stopping, then the answer is not a chance. I am a sprinter, not an endurance runner. If by ready we mean can I be fit enough to be able to get my average mile down to under 15 minutes, then the answer is maybe. I have done stranger things in my life. 

No comments: