Monday, June 26, 2023

The New Field of Dolls Studio

     It's been 3 weeks since I have done a post. I have been insanely busy and I just haven't had the time. What have I been doing in that time? Moving. Unpacking things. Assembling furniture. Cleaning things. And setting up the new Field of Dolls Studio. 
    I have never actually had a dedicated studio space before. It's cool and a little bit overwhelming. I can, in theory, leave projects out if I need to go and do something else (I am currently taking a break to write this post!) I have my models out on display, right where I can see them. Did I mention how nice it is to have things organized into different boxes, with labels, so (again, in theory) everything is easy to find? People who have always had a dedicated space might not understand these feelings of awe I have. People who have not had a dedicated space, and then got one, likely know these feelings I am experiencing. I can find things without digging for them. I don't have to move things out of the way so people can eat, or sleep (because I worked at my kitchen table, or sitting on my bed). I have a feeling that I have the potential to be more productive now. We'll see how that goes. 
     I have done almost nothing in the studio yet, other than set it up and move things around a little bit. But I like to look at it. I like to peak my head in the door and see MY STUDIO. It makes me smile. It also makes me wonder where my Field of Dolls Studio sign is... I need to go searching. 
     This is a completely acceptable stack of things that doesn't look unpacked. The bottom tote is ultra suede, stuffing (not usually for horse projects), and fleece. The flatter tote above that has things like boxes for mystery boxes and tissue paper. The pink and white bag is my emergency backup sewing machine. Long-time readers know that my Husqvarna machine is my preferred machine. But when it's in the shop, which has happened twice, I need a backup. And my super cheap Singer is the winner of that honor. The stack got slightly larger since this photo, I added a bag of Breyers I have for sale (or mean to have for sale, I have no idea if they all are listed anywhere or not). But it is an acceptable stack and doesn't offend me. 
     I posted a photo of the storage drawers on Instagram and Facebook last week sometime. The bottom two drawers are full of doll bodies. I *may* have a few. The top drawer ended up getting filled with stretchy fabric, specialty fabrics and I don't even remember what else is in there. But I actually took this photo to highlight my unicorn wastebasket. I was going to get just a plain black one, and then I saw the unicorn one. Clearly, I needed this one in my life. And it was less than half the price of plain black!
     So after the longest break I have ever taken from doll making, I am finally ready to get back to work. I'm behind on Mares in Black and have that on. I did get a start on a couple of casual western dolls this morning. I had them started from before, so it was a pretty easy thing to jump back into. I can hopefully finish them by the end of today. And since I don't have to go back to work until July 5th, I can potentially crank out a bunch of dolls this week. But Summer school is only 3 and a half hours a day, 4 days a week, for 5 weeks. That will still give me lots of time to play around work in my new studio. I am ready to get back to creating!

6 comments:

Lynn Isenbarger said...

Oh, Anne, it looks wonderful! When I finally got my dedicated space, I was like you - constantly poking my head in to look at it! Yours looks so nice and inviting. Have fun!

Hugs,
Lynn

Braymere said...

I am so happy for you. You've deserved this space for a long time.

Shannon Rodgers said...

Super Happy For You!!! 🥰

timaru star ii said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ELauer said...

Congratulations on your dedicated Studio space!

timaru star ii said...

I'm amazed, pleased & I agree with Shannon: You've SO deserved this. Enjoy!!