Monday, May 2, 2022

International Food Fair

       Last week, I bent my eating rules and went to the International Food fair that was held by one of the cooking classes. I had a small bit of several things I normally don't eat, so I could help gives critiques. There were small shot glasses of a beet soup, which was quite good. I love beets. I miss beets. Beets are basically sugar. 
    I don't remember exactly what this dish was, but I couldn't eat it since it has cherries in it. Cherries and I don't get along. But the documentation was beautiful and I appreciated how well done this all was. 
     These almond tarts tasted store bought (the kids swear they were home made). I commented that anything with almost extract is easy to overdo, but they were perfect. It was very well balanced in flavor. After reading the ingredients I also realized it would not be at all hard to alter the recipe to make it low carb. And I taught the guys that almond flour is a thing. 
     These were burgers, just like they look like, and they were full of bacon, among other things. They were quite good and the small bit of bread I ate probably won't kill me (hasn't yet). 
      Strawberries are actually something I can eat a bit of. Not soaked in sugar, but still. The whipped cream had sugar, and the waffles had sugar, but I only had a bite (this bite). I was told the "secret" ingredient in the waffles was cinnamon. Even with the fruit and cream you could taste it, but it wasn't overpowering. It was very nice. 
     I can't remember at all what these were called, though I can say this would be an interesting vegetarian alternative to a meat dish. I have forgotten most of what is in them, along with the name, but I know there were lentils and... something. They were very flavorful and the presentation was nice too. 
      This should have been where I hung out the whole time. The dip is a dill yogurt dip and was very delicious. My comments were that it was nothing like a typical American dip (meaning, it didn't have any sweetness to it, like Ranch and almost everything else American). It reminded me a bit of a spinach dip, but it had it's own flavor, which was quite good. Dill is another ingredient that can be incredibly overpowering, but this was light and tasty. This could be a great low carb dip option for parties. I also would totally put it on salmon.
     On top of being able to eat some delicious things that are normally off limits to me (in my defense, I had a only a very tiny bit of it) I really enjoyed seeing the enthusiasm of the cooks. So many people of all ages can't cook at all these days so seeing these young people (boy does that make me sound old) putting together dishes from all over the world was really fun. It was also a nice little break from my normal school day. It was definitely worth it. 
 

No comments: