Sunday, May 22, 2022

What’s This?


        I have been in a weird place with everything lately. I have not made a secret of it. Teaching goes through major mood swings weekly, if not daily. There are days the classes are so awful, and they make me feel so awful, that I can't even imagine bringing myself to go back and do it for another day, let alone another several weeks. There are also days that go so well, where the kids behave themselves, and the foolish thought comes into my head that I could do this again (NO! I won't do it again!). But no matter if the day has been good or bad, it's fairly universal that I will not have the energy, or desire, to work on dolls when I get home. Teaching has been mentally and physically draining, and I often can't manage to do anything when I am home.
     By the weekend I am pretty much completely drained. Saturdays I have been spending a lot of time doing nothing. That being about the level of energy I have fairly often. I spend a couple of hours on the computer, maybe emailing, maybe just wasting time, possibly catching up on blog reading I have not had time for during the week. Then I might have the motivation to take a nap. Then maybe read some. I do sometimes do things on Saturdays, but I usually really have to push myself to get out and be functional. It's been kind of hard lately. 
     Recently I was talking to Joan Yount and she mentioned this doll she found. It's an Yvonne-type doll... but 6 inches! We were not even sure if it actually was a small Yvonne or just a stock photo used in place and the doll would be less good. We both ordered one and guess what? It really is a small Yvonne! I was actually excited about the doll! Until her legs wouldn't stay on and I could not find a small head to put on her. But then yesterday Joan texted me a fix she worked out that seemed to be working. So I tried a similar fix, with a different twist (even when we share things we never do things exactly like the other does them) and I had a doll with legs that stayed on. And while it IS a bit oversized, the original Yvonne head is not grotesquely oversized for the smaller doll. I was excited for the smaller doll again. 
    So excited that this happened. 

     That was the youth doll I have been repairing for months. I have really had little to no interest in working on her. I have remade her legs twice, and they keep on being wrong. So I decided to steal her clothes. Having an outfit, or part of an outfit, already finished that fit the smaller Yvonne went a long way in keeping me motivated to keep going. The shirt and coat fit the smaller Yvonne really nicely. The breeches were a bit baggy, so I decided to remake those. 
     For most of this time I was on the phone with Crystal. Which was awesome. We have not had a good long chat in a while, and it was way overdue. So we chatted, caught up on each other's news, and I worked away on this smaller doll. Even though I should not have spent that much doll time at the kitchen table. My back does not appreciate it!
     So the new breeches got cut out and sewn, and looked so much nicer than the baggy youth doll ones. The tiny hands actually paint up very well, so I had the gloves in the works. Things were progressing very well with this little doll. And I was weirdly happy about her. Doing things that are new and different are fun, and definitely a little bit exciting. Even if the new is just something a little bit different. 
      In the end I had had a nice, long conversation with Crystal, and I had a finished little Yvonne dressed in hunt seat attire. Here is a quick comparison between her and a nearly normal sized Yvonne doll. The western side saddle doll is actually a very tiny bit shorter than a regular Yvonne doll. But she was the one that was handy for this comparison photo. I realized when I was just about finished dressing Little Yvonne that I had forgotten to dremel the doll at all. Oops. That would likely improve a doll who is already pretty great. 
     So what did I end up with? I ended up with a smaller Yvonne doll, who actually stands incredibly well, even better than the original Yvonne dolls. She also is an excellent rider, just like her taller sister. I also had just what I have been looking for. 
      I have a really nice doll that fits very well on my pony saddle. Which now means I have an absolute perfect rider for Astrid. I am definitely excited about this! I know that a lot of people have complained about Astrid for a variety of reasons. Some feel she is closer to classic scale, or that they are being ripped off because she is not "true traditional scale". But you know what? Fjords are not huge horses. And horses come in different sizes. And now doll-people do as well. 
      I am still a little iffy about how this set-up looks. I kind of want to try again with my even smaller saddle, if the stirrups are adjustable. Which I am pretty sure they are. Little Yvonne works so nicely on Astrid but the saddle isn't quite working for her. I definitely might try this again with my smaller saddle. 
     Overall, I am pretty excited for this smaller Yvonne option. I would love a slightly smaller head option, but currently that is still something I am searching for. I can't say that this doll has me excited to show again, she doesn't. But I was excited to make her. And now I have a smaller doll that works well with smaller horses. I imagine she will look excellent on my CM Stone pony as well. And now I really want to try that! Just like everything with my doll making, this is an evolving thing that will likely change over time. And while it didn't bring back the spark for showing, I do find her to be a pretty exciting option. And I want to make myself a western one now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such exciting news. You really rocked that doll!! Thank you so much for posting.

timaru star ii said...

That first pic of your new doll on Astrid made me look twice to make sure it wasn't a real-life shot. It just looks so good.

You're so good now that the improvements to be taken are little tiny ones. Minute adjustments are the name of the game! What a lovely relationship you have with Joan.

Erika Baird said...

She looks really fantastic! and knowing there are shorter dolls out there is an exciting prospect for doing smaller riders on smaller horses. I adore Astrid, and it's lovely to see her all done up with a rider of the size that would appreciate a horse of that size <3

Braymere said...

This is very exciting. I might have a need.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! Mount up the pony club!

Anonymous said...

Great doll! She is a perfect fit for Astrid but I agree, that saddle flap doesn't hit her knee quite right. Otherwise I doubt you'd see much better.

Hang in there for the rest of the school year!

Betsy in WI

Jessica P Hekman said...

There is a method for shrinking doll heads which I'm working on testing out with Breyer doll heads. It might let you shrink an Yvonne head down to fit on the teen body. Happy to give more information.

I'd love to know what you did to get the legs working!

Anne said...

If the head shrinking is the acetone method, it does not work on the Yvonne heads, they go back to normal size.

To fix the legs I literally added a pin across the top to make the socket tighter.