Saturday, May 21, 2022

Western Side Saddle

     It is really easy to not blog. It saves a lot of space in my head not thinking about what to write about all the time. It's actually making me a little bit less tired to have one less thing to do every day. Since I am still super busy at school, I also haven't had much time to work on dolls. Or really, much energy. I get home and I am just so done. But Jennifer needed a western side saddle doll to go with her pink rose set from Darleen Stoddard. It took me so much longer than it should have, but I did finally finish the doll. 
    Yes, she is barefoot. Even though I find it weird to send out a doll with no boots, Jennifer likes to make her own. And since I know she is not going to do a shoddy job of it, I am OK with that. I am actually very curious to see what Jennifer does with them. 
     This week has been the usual mix of good and bad. I have been getting a good amount of work done at school. I now have environmental science and chemistry totally planned out for the rest of the school year. I am super close on biology. I think I need to come up with one more lesson, maybe 2, and a final, and I will be done. Yesterday I got a whole lot more algebra figured out as well. I think I am down to needing 3 or 4 lessons. I will likely make them, they will be review for the final, and the final. So I am making progress. The finish line is in sight!
     I also managed to get a bunch of the photocopying done for the rest of the year. Which is fantastic! There are 17 more days of school (holy cow!) and I only have students on 15 of those days, unless someone misses a final and has to come on the last day to make it up. I have weird mixed feelings about it. This year has been bad, there is no denying that. It has been bad across the board. We were all expecting that being back in person would be so much better. But somehow, it hasn't been. It's been really rough, in so many ways. For myself, I definitely prefer in person to remote or hybrid. But this has been a really tough year. 
    I have a couple of movies planned in environmental science and chemistry. I would do some for bio, but we have to prep for the bio MCAS, so we really don't have time. But we are going to watch a couple of things in environmental science (Deepwater Horizon and Wall-E) and in chemistry (Hidden Figures and The Martian... as long as I watch that last one first to make sure it's OK for school). Those classes have definitely earned some movies. They also fit in with the subjects. The math classes have asked for movies and I challenged them to tell me a math movie. They have not yet (though Hidden Figures would actually work as a math movie, a physics movie, a chemistry movie, a history movie...)
     I am thinking about working the summer program again. I double checked with the director that it would, again, be OK to come in "late". It's never a good idea to assume after all. But I really loved working in IAP last summer (intensive autism) and I think I would like to do it again. Those kids made me so happy. The people I worked with made me super happy too. So it is definitely something I am considering. 
     This weekend is supposed to have temps in the high 90's. I have no idea what the expected humidity is. I hope it is low, but I have a feeling I am not that lucky. It was 58 degrees the other day, and then after this weekend it will drop down to the mid-70's again for at least a week. Silly weather. 

2 comments:

timaru star ii said...

I love the doll's bling and pink. Great idea!

Mention of movies for school makes me think about the old Dr Science films they used to show us in grade school. I loved those even though I can't remember much about them. That was like, um, fifty years ago.

Kari H. said...

A good math movie is Stand and Deliver. Watched that in math class quite a few years ago now... lol.