Thursday, May 5, 2022

Symbiosis

     The other day, instead of doing doll work like I probably should have been, I decided to watch a movie. While looking at it. Who does these things? Anyway, I watched Venom: Let There Be Carnage. Originally, when I put it in my watch list, I thought I had already seen it. Nope. I saw Venom and I saw Venom 2. I enjoyed both. 
    So me, being me, later on in the day I started thinking about symbiosis. Venom and Eddie started their symbiotic relationship and it was kind of commensalism. In some ways it could have even been considered parasitism (sort of). Eventually though, they definitely had a relationship based on mutualism. These are things I think about.  

     This guy is not Venom, it's Carnage, and was one of the most detailed and amazingly well done cosplay outfits we saw at the Brooklyn Comicon in 2019.  I like superheroes, but I don't think I would have ever gone to Comic Con if it wasn't for a doll. This doll to be precise. 
     My friend Roberto asked me to hair some doll heads and make some pencil skirts, for a Barbara Gordon doll he was working on. I could have made the entire doll, but all of his dioramas, including all the dolls and details, were made by him. 
     No matter the original reason for going, I went to Comic Con, I had a good time, and I got a ton of really amazing photos. I like to only use photos I have taken, or photos people have sent me (or allowed me to take) that I have permission to use. I was glad to have photos of a symbiote to use to talk about the weird thoughts I have while watching movies. 
     Speaking of science movies (not that I watched Venom with science in mind, it just went that way). I was looking up what movies are out there that have to do with Chemistry. There are several on Marie Curie, one of which I plan on showing in class. After I watch it to make sure it doesn't completely suck and is in fact school appropriate. But then I don't know what else we can watch. Most of the movies about chemistry are about drug dealers. Those are right out. 
     So I am trying to find some more interesting things to do in my classes. We are getting close to the end of the year and I think everyone could use a bit of a break. Though for biology, we just might not have time to watch anything at all. We need to sort of hustle and get in as much material as possible, while still repeating it over and over, because MCAS (state testing) is coming. And those kids need to take the biology MCAS. So we will have to start doing some MCAS prep... soon? I don't know exactly when, I need to figure it out. I am trying to get some materials together. 
    Environmental science is actually pretty easy. I have a book, I know a whole ton of environmental related documentaries and movies, so I should be all set for that class. Biology I have some material from my amazing friend Laura, and can find some extra things to supplement it. Chemistry is a bit iffier, since I am not at all confident with the subject matter and they need to understand it, but I am getting close. If I could find some movies, or something, that I can use to fill some classes, that would be excellent. 
    Math is trickier. I am still working on reinforcing all of the skills we have been working on, and adding more, with reminders of the things we did often. Teaching 4 subjects is definitely tricky. But I am getting there. And I think the kids have actually learned some things. I have had a few tell me that I am their favorite teacher, and I said really? (in a very incredulous way. Half the time I feel like I am literally making things up as I go along). And they said yeah, you are a really good teacher. Hmm, maybe it's because I break things down so they understand. Maybe because I do a refresher of previous stuff that we learned at the beginning of most of the lessons. I don't know. But it was a little bit of appreciation during teacher appreciation week. I'll take it. 
 

No comments: