Friday, March 6, 2020

NaMoPaiMo Through the Years

    As I mentioned yesterday, the first year of NaMoPaiMo, which was 2017, I did not participate. I didn't manage to even finish prepping my model. I was working on prepping my Chips mule and I just didn't. The winter can be pretty hard for me. I get really unmotivated and I often don't want to do anything. I also can't prep if it is actively precipitating. So I only got my mule prepped in time for NaMoPaiMo 2018. I had a large quantity of reference for this spotty mule and was excited to see what I could do. Monet (my mule) came out pretty well. Her face is my favorite part, but for a fairly complex color/pattern, I thought she came out really well. 
     2019 was my micro Hugh resin, who I named Hugh Can Do It. I asked lots of questions and worked really hard on this tiny horse. I was super pleased with how he came out and it inspired me to paint more of my micros. I absolutely love NaMoPaiMo, and I love the encouragement, the tips and being able to share painting progress. 

      The end of last year I got a photo of Monet and Hugh together. This has become another traditional part of NaMoPaiMo, though not as widely spread as other things. It is fun to see each year's horses together, and often you can see the improvement in skills over the years. I did not get a photo of all of my horses together this year yet. I should get on that. 
      My 2020 NaMoPaiMo horse is my Ballycor resin who I named Beauty Queen. I really love how she came out and I can't wait to get her into the performance ring. I painted her the same color as I painted Hugh last year because I learned a lot about painting palomino horses and I wanted to see if I could do it in a larger scale. I also didn't have any traditional scale palomino horses. So she was fun, I learned a lot more this year, including how to paint pretty nice realistic hooves, and I am looking forward to next year. I will probably paint at least some more minis or micros before then, but NaMoPaiMo is when I am almost guaranteed to paint something. 
     NaMoPaiMo is over officially, or the painting part anyway, and the rest of it is going to be wrapping up over the next few weeks. Jennifer is working on troubleshooting website issues people had and helping people recover lost codes so they can upload their photos to the website. Then she will have the enormous task of sorting, awarding, packaging and mailing prizes. After that I hope she gets a break before whatever the next big thing is for her. I need to start thinking about what to paint for next year. And make sure I get it prepped if it isn't already. 

1 comment:

timaru star ii said...

Monet's prepping was for 2018, not 2019... Congratulations on finding No Fear painting!! That must be a huge relief and a significant achievement.