Saturday, July 11, 2020

Virtual Breyerfest

     When I bought my tickets for virtual breyerfest I was pretty excited. It was the first time I would be able to participate in Breyerfest and that seemed like a really fun idea! Then I entered the open show, because why not? In the time between buying the tickets, taking my show photos and uploading them and the start of Breyerfest my excitement wore off. I didn't know if I loved my show photos. Even though the rules said that a plain background would not be judged lower, pretty much everyone had a photo show background. Which I don't even have the option of that in my current setup. I also didn't love the single day ticket stablemates any more. At least not enough to want to keep them. I am not in love with the celebration model, so a lot of what Breyerfest is about, the Breyer horses, is not really doing it for me. Thursday the artisan's gallery opened and I attended Kylee Park's live sale. It was fun, and nice to be on the other side of the sale, but I didn't buy anything. I did go and try to check out some of the other shops, and while some things were tempting, most things were not tempting enough to buy. Or I couldn't justify spending the money. I did go to the Copperfox website and buy the new set of micro mini pewter models. Individually they are fairly reasonably priced for micros, and I can keep the ones I want and sell the ones I am not into. 
      I also bought a 3D printed horse skull from Maggie Bennett and stickers from lots of people. Thursday was not too bad. Spending wasn't wild and mostly I had gotten stickers, which don't take up much space. 
      Friday was rougher. I spend hours in the morning not being able to get into the show albums to start trying to see results. I also could not find virtual Breyerfest on their website. In their blog I thought it said you needed to be signed into your account. Which it did, but the "entrance" to Breyerfest was on the homepage. Once I got in I went to the Breyer store. A lot. Over and over I got the page that showed everything was out of stock. 

    I wasn't necessarily into any grab bags, but those were all showing out of stock as well. So far Breyerfest was not super great for me. I didn't have any preconceived ideas about virtual Breyerfest really, it is new for everyone, but I had sort of a meh feeling about all of it. It might have been the gloomy weather, I wasn't really sure. 
      The mail did bring me my single day stablemates (which I stopped wanting shortly after I bought my tickets) and the bags are gorgeous. I have not opened them, but I do know what the horses look like. 
     Later in the day my celebration model also showed up. While he IS an excellent performance horse, I have no need for him and no desire to keep him. So I will sell him.
      Eventually, after I checked the limited edition store over and over all day, I finally managed to snag the stablemate set and the crystal horse. I collect the crystal horses and that is really all I wanted from Breyerfest. So I am happy I got one. I picked up the stablemates for my friend and if I can ever catch them in stock again I might pick up a set for myself. Though I only like one of the horses. I'll have to see. 

     So day one of my virtual Breyerfest experience has been sort of weird. And I think I know why. I never wanted Breyerfest for the models. I never wanted Breyerfest for the activities or shows (which are on the site and I haven't even looked at yet). I wanted Breyerfest for the people. And the people are missing from virtual Breyerfest. Maybe I need to see if someone wants to do a random Zoom meetup today or Sunday. 

4 comments:

Christine said...

I understand what you mean even though I enjoyed watching the Farm Tour videos it felt sort of strange to watch the evening program. It felt odd to have them performing and to have no way in which to respond to say, "Yes, this is nice. I like this."
And, no one's eyes to see across the crowd. I watched the 2019 program, and it was much easier to watch because there were people in the crowd reflecting my own appreciation of what I was seeing. If I weren't keeping up a running commentary with friends. The whole day would have felt very odd.

Michelle M. said...

It’s been many years since I moved out of driving distance range. I didn’t show in the BF live show (I was there for NAN and that was enough!) or do farm tours. The horse park was fun, although I got heat exhaustion one year. But my absolute favorite part (and this applies to a Jamboree in CA as well) was room sales at the HIN. Seeing an open door would make my heart go pitter pat, and it was so exciting to see what was in each room - not to mention the thrill of adding something new to my collection and/or getting a good deal.

Mini Hoofbeats Studio said...

I am totally with you in regards to the wear-off of Breyerfest excitement. It was like once I got my last entry for the photo show turned in - I grew really tired and wanted the whole thing to be done before it actually began. Thank you for revealing the price of the Stablemates set, because it only showed out of stock for me, too. Unfortunately, I like only two of them. As far as the backdrops for the photo show, think of it this way: Breyer just opened up the world of Breyerfest in a way that all the photo showers could attend, also. So, using the same photo for several different shows just became easier, since...well....you've already got the picture. Yeah, the photo show was overwhelming looking through the results. I hope you were able to place in some of your classes.

Anne Field said...

Which of the stablemates are you looking to get? If I get a set maybe I have some you want. I only want one of them.