Friday, July 1, 2022

Super Custom Doll

     Today we have another guest post by Emily Heckler. Emily has been working on creating articulated Schleich scale rider dolls. She is taking us on the journey of her second try. Thank you for sharing your process Emily!

   Words and Photos by Emily Heckler

      My second attempt at articulated Schleich scale riders starts with these drawing reference dolls from AliExpress. The ad title said 10 cm high, the description said 13. I wasn’t sure they would be perfect 10 cm still works out at 180cm for a 1:18 scale which is pretty tall if you ask me. I thought I would have a chance of reducing the height of the doll a little bit and so I ended up ordering two. 

When they arrived I was disappointed they were even taller than I thought even with the 14cm description. I set to work cutting chunks from it’s legs and torso in the hope of shrinking her. My first attempt still ended up too big, and not that well dressed in hindsight. 


This all ended up in the too hard basket for a long time until hobbyist and you tuber Daisy Stalls uploaded a process video of a doll she had made. I gathered up my shamble of pieces and gave it another shot. 

I got marginally closer to what I was aiming for this time and had enough inspiration to pull her apart again and further shrink her down.

In the end I was forced to combine pieces from both dolls as I stuffed up and broke parts, especially the joints I got to about this point before giving up again, everything was just so frustrating.

Especially painting the face. Every attempt ended up being messy, terrifying/creepy or both. In the end I enlisted the help of my sister who does amazing traditional art and she was able to pull off something a lot better.

I was going really strong until I hit a brick wall, a brick wall of boots. 


I made so many boots that I couldn’t replicate or hated or or or.

I eventually managed a pair of jodhpur type boots that look ok if you don’t stare at them for too long. I plan on making her some better and more showy clothes but for now she is a casual doll and my best attempt to date

She is definitely still on the tall side but on the ground especially she doesn't look too bad.



  Thank you so much Emily! Doll making can be extremely frustrating at times, especially if you are trying to change scale or create something you have never done before. I think your second attempt is pretty great and I can't wait to see your future dolls!


1 comment:

Jeff Semprebon said...

For articulated 1:18 figures, the Vitruvian HACKS series by Boss Fight Studios is pretty good and not too pricy.
https://boss-fight-studio-the-store.myshopify.com/collections/vitruvian-h-a-c-k-s-blanks