Thursday, May 14, 2020

Versatile Dolls

      Sometimes I luck out and I can take a day or two days worth of photos and write several blog posts. I love that. I love the feeling of not having to come up with something to talk about when I am feeling incredibly boring and mundane. Definitely something this pandemic has taught me is I am sort of a stay-at-home antisocial kind of person, my life has not changed all that much. There are definitely people I miss seeing, and I do like to go out and be social sometimes, but for the most part I stay home. I work on dolls, work on purging my house (it has been an ongoing process for a couple of years now), help Travis with whatever he needs, work, read and so on. Not a lot has changed. Instead of getting up at 4:45 I get up when I wake up (maybe 8:00, sometimes earlier) and instead of going to work I email students and teachers to try to see who needs help and I teach Travis. I'm pretty flexible with things. I can go from being the teacher, to being the para if Travis is in a video class with one of his teachers and needs support. Versatility can be a good thing. It can definitely be a good thing with dolls. 
     I have completed a variety of versatile dolls over the past week and for one reason or another, they have not gotten shared. I almost forgot to photograph these two! While I was doing the photo show in my room last weekend I remembered that I had not taken a photo of these dolls. The casual English lady is not as versatile as some dolls, but she can be used for a variety of things. And she has unicorns on her shirt, so that makes her cool. In contrast, the cowboy next to her is one of the most versatile dolls that there is. When I started showing in performance my western doll was a cowboy in pleasure chaps. He could basically show in everything western (not roping) and that made him a really excellent doll for showing on a budget. I could have made all the dolls I wanted of course, but way back then the cost of a doll body was a bit of a stretch. So I wanted my dolls to do as much as possible. 
     This casual western lady is not quite as versatile as the cowboy, but she can be used for a lot of different things. She is not dressed properly for traditional western pleasure, but with some added chaps she can do ranch pleasure. She's great for games and cattle classes, casual riding, or as an extra prop doll. Casually dressed riders are excellent dolls to own. With just a bit of creativity you can find tons of uses for them. 
     This last lady is a super traditional huntseat doll. I just now realized she is much more traditional than I meant her to be. She is wearing a white shirt but I meant to put her in a red shirt. This shirt was for a dressage doll I am working on. Oops. I guess I will just have to make another huntseat doll at some point. Soon. I already had plans for at least one more, but I guess now it will be sooner than I planned. Anyway, a very traditionally dressed hunt seat rider like this can do just about any English event you can come up with. Definitely a very versatile rider. 
     I have a good amount of other dolls planned before by Room 511 sale. In case that doesn't make sense, that is my "room number" in the Facebook group, NOT going to Breyerfest, Clarion. 511 is also my region X number. So my NOT Breyerfest sale can be my room 511 sale. I am planning to have a wide variety of dolls and doll accessories. I think I'll get back to work on the color wheel of vests...

No comments: