Sunday when I was hanging out with Crystal I gave her her first ever pork rind. She said with some onion powder and garlic they would taste just like a Funion. I tried that out and she's not totally wrong. There is something missing from my recipe that maybe eventually I will figure out. But flavor options are cool. I can't eat the barbecue ones because they have sugar in them. And so do most of the hot and spicy ones. The onion powder experiment gave me the idea to try the Frank's RedHot Buffalo Ranch seasoning on some pork rinds. Surprisingly, this stuff does not have sugar in it, which every other ranch flavored everything I have read the label on does. So I just put a couple of handfuls of plain Mac's pork rinds in a quart sized zipper bag, sprinkled on a bunch of this spice (a bit much! Try a bit and taste and add more if you need it, lol) and they were very tasty! It is nice to have some flavor options in my crunchy snacks. There is not a whole lot of stuff I can't eat after all.
Back to the sewing machine. I didn't have much prepped to test the machine out with, but I did have some saddle pads cut out and ready. So I started on this dog pad...
And I think I only had to rethread the machine once while making it.I made this cute piggy pad and a couple others as well. It didn't take forever and I didn't have to swear at the machine. The process was not perfect, but maybe I just need to learn the particular quirks of this machine. I am withholding judgment for now.
I had a couple of dolls I was working on and I had some new paint brushes from tax free weekend. I really love how I can paint a doll face with a properly tiny brush!
One of the things I managed to finish recently was this little youth doll. The photo on the left was how I finished her up and the photo on the right was the next day when I realized that the thing I didn't like about her was her jeans. They were too loose and the denim I had grabbed was too bulky So I remade those and like her a lot more now. I also had another session with the new sewing machine to try to give it a chance. It's possible I will just never love a machine that doesn't have a vertical thread holder. We'll see.
So I managed to get a couple of order dolls finished and photoed. Not great photos, just quick indoor photos. It's been raining for days again. I have a good start on a formal saddle seat doll, who should be ready soon. Probably even before this blog gets posted! I prepped 10 doll bodies and I will soon cut out a bunch of doll clothes to sew. Or maybe just a few outfits and then dress and finish some dolls. We'll see how it goes. I go back to work on Monday and I am sure I will need some time to adjust to my different schedule and I am likely not going to be as productive with dolls for a bit. But TJS is coming and I have sales dolls and donations to work on!