Saturday, May 22, 2021

I Don’t Love Breyer Dolls

     Yesterday was the big reveal of the horse I did for the Breyerfest Best Customs contest. As a reminder, I am not a customizer or a painter. I have done a bit of painting, mostly because Jennifer Buxton started NaMoPaiMo, but I have not done much. I discovered that I can do a pretty good job with Pan Pastels. Not LSQ anything, but something that is pleasing to look at and makes me happy. It's not NaMoPaiMo, but I finished my horse and I am totally a winner!
     OK, so I am not a sculptor and not really a painter. So WHY did I enter the Best Customs contest? Performance of course. I made a horse that is pretty nice and is definitely going to be perfect for performance. But Breyer had a twist to their rules. If you are using a rider, it has to be Breyer made. Poop. I don't love Breyer dolls. The Breyer male dolls are OK, but they have weird tiny hands, that are smaller than the lady's hands (and both are smaller than youth doll hands...) and their necks don't bend, and I forgot to make these bendy, the lady is shaped a bit like a Barbie doll. I don't love Breyer dolls. But I want to have the best shot I can at winning, so I made Breyer dolls. 
      Because I apparently don't have enough to do these days I also decided that this lady really needed her hair French braided. I will NOT be doing this on order dolls! This was an enormous, frustrating pain and may only have worked out because the enormous head that this doll has. And this is the old style Breyer with the "small" head. They look so much like dolls...
     So that is everything you get. I am not sharing what I am doing for my contest entry. You know I customized a horse for performance and made some dolls. And that is all you get to know! I will of course share sooner or later. 
     If I win or lose doesn't even matter to me. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to win, it would be super thrilling. But I am not getting my hopes up. I wanted to enter because I could. I may or may not ever get to an in person Breyerfest. And even if I don't win the contest I am still a winner. I finished my horse. 
 

No comments: