Tuesday, February 9, 2021

NaMoPaiMo Progress

      The title of this post is misleading. I have not made progress on my NaMoPaiMo horse. Barnaby started out rough and I had to let him sit and start him over. The day I got his base coat on him I didn't wait long enough to get into pigments. And I didn't clean up the drips in the paint. I know better, but I wanted to get some color on him. I know better and I wasn't patient and I made a mess of him. So even though I know better, I made a lot of extra work for myself.      
     I sanded down the ugly spots. 
      And of course he ended up even uglier. But he was smooth, which is all that really mattered. 
       I decided to just brush on a thin coat of gesso to bring him back to white. Now he looks much better. 
      NOW he is definitely ready for pigments! His base coat is not totally opaque in all spots, but it is a base coat, it doesn't matter. He is nice and smooth and should be lovely when I can get some color on him. Now I just need time and a day when it is not snowing. Unfortunately there are a lot of days in the forecast that have snow predicted. 
     My experience with pigments is they usually go pretty fast. But I do not want to be one of those people that waits until the last minute to try to get my horse finished. I need to get moving on him! I am sure he will be a super cutie when I am done. But for now he sits in his base coat and I keep hoping for good weather. Maybe I will have to just take drastic measures and go out quickly with an umbrella. I have totally prepped like that. 


 

No comments: