Saturday I had a NaMoPaiMo painting party again. Though I was the only participant who is actually a living person (that sounds weird, it is not quite as strange as it sounds). I was hoping for 4 of us but Travis again decided he did not want to paint his horse. I have a feeling he is not going to finish before the end of the month. He wanted to paint in January, but not in February. I feel that. Waiting is hard.
But my dolls had not started on their horses for minis painting minis and I decided that it was time. Especially once I started doing layers of white on Barnaby and had to seal him so often.
Laura's horse is a Kitty Cantrell micro Harmony resin. At the beginning of February I got him into a sort of tannish basecoat.
I got a bit of the colors done on the horses and then decided I really needed to set up the proper photo shoot for everything.
I also decided that pan pastels are my new favorite thing. This was one layer of yellow ochre over the unbleached titanium base coat. The horse already almost looked like what I wanted her to look like.
Barnaby's color finally came together in a way that I liked. The white layers of pastel over my dapples stopped disappearing when I sprayed on the finish. I got the dark parts shaded back in and I felt that added to the realism of his coat color. If you look at him really closely, he still looks like he has paint on him. But from a reasonable distance I actually think he looks really good. My cell phone doesn't even take nice photos of him!
Still, I am not hating how he is turning out. Eventually I had to decide that I was done for the day because I was just really tired of working on the horses. I am sure I have plenty more layers of white to put on before I am done with that. I also have to get into the mane, tail, eyes and hooves. But I definitely needed to be done for the day.