So I spent way too much time trying to navigate eBay's contact system to get an agent to chat with and eventually got a person. Who told me that my best bet was to relist the item so the person who's bid I just canceled HAD THE CHANCE TO BID AGAIN. What??? Why would I want that? Why would I want to not only wait several more days for the horse sell, AND risk the same person being the high bidder again? And this is NOT what their own rules say. They say to cancel the bid before you send the second chance offer.
Anyway, the result is my horse that was sold didn't get paid for, eBay broke their own rules and I had to relist, so now I need to wait some more. I have no idea if the people who wanted the horse previously will find the ad again, or even risk bidding on it. If/when the horse sells I don't really know if the high bidder will bother to pay. And there is nothing at all I can do about any of it other than wait.