Saturday, September 11, 2021

The Resin Storage Experiment

      A year or 3 ago I started an experiment. Clearly it was not super well planned out as I can't actually remember when I started it. But it has definitely been a while. I would say most likely closer to 3 years than 1. But I can't say for sure. But since Ethan and I have plans (well, currently desires) to move eventually, I need to figure out how to store artists resins in a way that won't damage them. Not necessarily for years, but potentially for several months in all sorts of weather conditions. That is a scary prospect with models that are not as tough as an OF. 
  I had a model that already had paint damage from improper storage. The concept was good, but the reality was not. The satin lined pouches were very safe for storage to and from shows, maybe even wrapped for a couple of days, but not in extreme temperature shifts. We don't have air conditioning, and live in New England, so it gets hot and humid here. But also very cold. Not that it gets super cold inside, but the closet, where the resin was stored, was definitely not as warm as the rest of the house. 
     It is just the side of the horse that has the damage in the finish, and I am pretty sure there is a way to fix this, but I wanted to use him for an experiment before I got into that project. He still had plenty of undamaged paint/finish on him. So I wrapped him up in parchment paper, packed him in a couple of padded pouches, and put him away. And then forgot all about him. 
      Yesterday I was looking for something in the closet and rediscovered him. I remembered the experiment and pulled him out. Hazard Pay still has unblemished paintwork on his face, and everywhere else he didn't have previous damage. I would call that a successful experiment. But no experiment is complete if you can't repeat your findings. 
     Clearly, further testing was needed. But I would try a horse that didn't have a mess of finish on a large portion of her. Enchanted Eve has flawless finish, though she does have a bit of paint damage from rubbing on the shelf. She currently could be easily touched up, but IS damaged, so seemed a good piece to experiment on next. Plus all my horses are performance horses. They do not need to be flawless. Not that it wouldn't be nice. 
     While wrapping Enchanted Eve (and a couple of other resin friends) in the parchment paper I quickly discovered that nothing sticks to parchment paper. I knew it was non-stick, which is why I used it for wrapping in the first place, but not even duct tape would not stick to it. 
     The solution to that was to just use more paper to wrap the horses (so they were fully covered) and then carefully put them into the padded pouches. The pouch will hold the paper on the horse, which keeps the lining away from the paint, and the padding adds extra protection.  
       The resins are tucked (hopefully) safely in their pouches and are in the tote that I usually use to transport horses to live shows. I am hoping they will be safe. I think this will work, it did before. 

       Maybe there are tried and true ways for long term storage of artist resins, but I have not heard of them. I did personally have success with wrapping them in parchment paper and then padding them and packing them away. Through all sorts of temperatures Hazard Pay hasn't changed from how he was when I first packed him up. Maybe I will check on my horses in January and see how they are doing. 

No comments: