Friday, December 24, 2021

Friends and Family.

      I forgot to write a post for today, lol. Not that I didn't have photos ready for one, just no words. Anyway, last Sunday Elecktra, Travis, Alex, and I went to Bright Nights. Alex, Travis, and I tried to go to Bright Nights last year, but it just didn't work. We sat in traffic for hours and when we were almost to the gate they closed early and turned us away. What a bummer. 
      This year we left super early and tried to go in from the other direction. For some reason it is usually a shorter wait time. And it was. We got a silly selfie while we were sitting in the traffic (how is it Alex is the only one that doesn't look like insane?) and we listened to Christmas music and talked about what we would see. Not much changes at Bright Nights, it is just fun to go with family and friends that are family. 
     One of the first sections of the Bright Nights display has silver and blue lights. The carousel is always one of my favorites. It doesn't move, but it's still really cool. The park does have some displays that are animated, this just isn't one of them. 
     One of the most fun parts of Bright Nights is Suess Land. Dr. Suess was from Springfield, Massachusetts, and Bright Nights is in Forest Park, also in Springfield. The last time I talked about Bright Nights I might have talked a bit about the history of the park. Most of the land was donated by Everett Barney, though a quick search shows that a sizeable chunk was originally donated by Orick Greenleaf. Fun fact; there is a Greenleaf Drive (where, coincidentally, all the residents put up very impressive Christmas light displays) and a smaller park, also in Springfield, which is named Greenleaf. Yes, I did just go down a tiny rabbit hole to learn some history. It happens. And I would do it again! 
The Grinch and Max are always fun to see. 
         And of course the Cat in the Hat. I completely forgot to take any photos of the dinosaurs. I'm sure I have at some point in the past. 
Something different we did this year was stop at the gift shop. Travis got to meet Santa.
      We also went on the carousel. Let me tell you, when it is 31 degrees outside, you are dressed for my super warm car, and riding metal horses, masks will help you keep warm! I am glad we went on the carousel, but I was equally glad when the ride was over. It was so cold!
       While the Bright Nights display hasn't really changed in years it was still a really fun trip. Mostly because of the people in the car. There was a lot of silliness, including me buying a flamingo wearing a Santa hat (that I 1000% didn't need) and lots of laughter. This morning it is snowing, which I am not a fan of, but I can't help but think how many people will be happy about it. 




 

No comments: