Sunday, December 26, 2021

I Have Issues

     I really am not an OF collector. I know a lot of people really don't believe that, especially with the number of OF horses I seem to buy and Breyer clubs I belong to, but I really am not. I have a handful of horses and I currently have a whole bunch of things I want to rehome. It's crazy. But I actually want to purge all sorts of things at the moment. I really want to own less stuff. Which is a hard thing when you are a collector. I do collect things, even though I don't collect OF horses. 
     Anyway, every year Breyer does a Christmas Morning Surprise for collector's club members. They are, as far as I know, always decorators, one mold, different colors, and a super rare model. The super rare one MIGHT be a new thing from last year. I am not an OF collector so I really have not been paying any attention. So Christmas morning I was screwing around on the computer and figured I would check it out and see what Breyer was offering this year. Turns out it was Spice Drop, who comes in 4 different colors, red with gold, green with gold, blue with silver, and purple with silver. If you are on the naughty list, Santa might send you one of the super rare "coal" models. Not gonna lie, I actually really like both the blue and the purple version of this horse. If I had space, and got one of those, I would very likely keep it. They are very fun! I don't particularly like the other 2 at all. I am not a gold person. 
      So what does this have to do with anything? Well, I happened to be online at 11:01, and I noticed the time. I happened to like 2 of the models, and I think Croi looks good as a decorator (or a mini, she definitely is a great mini!). I also am drawn to blind bags. Why??? I pretty much never keep what is inside, but I love gamblers choice and blind bag models. Part of why I bought things from the CC appreciation sale was to get the "free" glossy model. Just to see what I would get. I has no plan to keep any of them, I just wanted to see what I would get, lol! So I sold the glossy, at "cost" (cost of the models I had to buy to get the "free" glossy) and now have a bunch of stuff I don't really need that I may also have to rehome. I have bought many blind bag models, including a full case, to see if I could get the rare chase pieces. I just wanted to see if I could do it. Maybe it's like buying a lottery scratch ticket. It's entirely possible you will just lose your money, but you might win a bunch (before my friends called a gambling hotline for me, I almost never buy scratch tickets). I like the chase and the surprise. THAT is the part I want in these things. 

     I did buy a Spice Drop. Apparently they sold out in 12 minutes or something like that. I didn't feel frantic buying one, I didn't care if I missed out, but I DO want to see what I will get. If I get a blue or a purple I MIGHT keep it, but likely not, I have no room for any models. Are people mad at people like me? People who buy things with no intention of keeping them? Yes, they are totally mad at people like me. Even if I sell it at cost (which, if I can profit on a thing, I might, depends on how badly I want it gone) I am evil to some people because I bought a thing I didn't want and took the chance from someone else. But everyone had the same chance. I missed out on the little Clydesdales because I forgot they were going on sale and I was at work. It happens. I know it's not the same, because I am not an OF collector who is hoping to add a special new piece to my collection. I just want to get the thing to see which version I get. That is the fun part for me. 

     As an interesting side-note, there are already (it is 1:21 pm, eastern on Christmas day as I type this) there are 10 Spice Drops on ebay, and one has already sold. I will very likely sell mine. But first I am going to wait until I see what I got. 
 

1 comment:

timaru star ii said...

For the record I am not mad at you. I am pleased and proud that someone knows exactly why and how they collect (underline exactly), and amazed at how much they're sharing that (admittedly very personal) knowledge. Perhaps I'm spoiled because I've bought horses off you, but I'm just glad to see another's perspective so carefully thought out.

I desire neither the miniClydes nor the Spice Drops. I'm saving for 2 resins, neither one a Breyer. But I do like the Astrid. She would drive so well.