Monday, December 27, 2021

Learning New Things

     I have wanted to learn a new language for a long time. It's a really good skill to have. But even if I can remember the words, if my accent is off (which it almost definitely is) I don't want to say anything. It's a rough position to be in. I have also wanted to learn American Sign Language for a long time. And since there is no spoken accent in ASL, that might be a language I can handle. Maybe. You do need to incorporate facial expression and posture (of course!) but if I could just learn the basic signs, maybe then I could work on the "accent". It's a possibility. 
     For Christmas my parents gave Travis this set of cards, which are supposed to help you learn some basic things in ASL. As soon as I saw it I asked if it was actually for me. It might end up that way. Travis and I did go through a lot of it together, and both of us learned some signs, but that may be the extent of his interest. Though he did teach himself the alphabet in sign language in preschool. From a poster in the classroom. Maybe we can grab a few cards a night and see about just learning a few signs at a time. That might be a better way anyway. 
     So it looks like I have something new to do in all of my "free time:, lol. But it should be fun. And if nothing else, Ethan and I can sign funny things at each other! He already knows a chunk of ASL. 
 

1 comment:

Emily said...

I have always been able to do the alphabet in NZSL (new zealand) I don't remember learning it but it has been a useful skill to have.