Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Cat Beds

     Tuesday I struggled a lot, as I mentioned. I struggled to keep a decent mindset, I struggled to get things done. It was not a fun feeling. Even playing with new tack wasn't fun really. A tiny bit maybe, but not really. I did manage to get two lonely cat beds made. Which was nothing like sewing, but it was better than nothing. 
     Yesterday was a better day. It wasn't an amazing day, but it was not a bad day. I started off the classes that had the most issues with the cell phones by telling them I was giving them 5 minutes on their phone at the beginning of class, and then maybe 5 minutes at the end, but other than that, no cell phones. I reminded them that they are not entitled to have their cell phones. The school policy is no phones. I figured giving them a small bit of down time and a brain break would be nice. If it gets abused, the phones will go away for the entire class. Which they have been informed of. The class that complained got to have the assistant principal come in and remind them of what I had already said. That the rule is no phones. That it is a privilege to be allowed any phone time at all. Things went OK. There were some other issues, kids thinking they were getting away with things (which they were not) and they were dealt with. I am trying to teach, I don't have the time to fight the losing battle against the phones and kids who think they are being sneaky about things. I want them to learn something. I want them to engage with each other. I want there to be class discussions. We had those when I started. Then the phone thing got out of control. Well, I do not have "welcome" written across my forehead (and for anyone that missed that, I mean I am not a doormat) and I won't be treated like that. Don't confuse my kindness for weakness. 
     In other fun school news, we were supposed to do a lab in chemistry yesterday. And we did, just not the one that was planned. A teacher friend was going to come down and run a lab with us. But her plate got overfull and she just didn't have the time. So I pulled out another lab I found, dug through the lab supplies cabinet I had barely played in, pulled out all sorts of things, and I tweaked a lab that was designed for elementary school kids (I think) and put more into it. Maybe not quite high school, but close. And the kids were thinking about things, making predictions, engaging in the lesson, and using (some) scientific equipment. And it was good. No one misbehaved or fooled around. The phones were away and I got to sneak in a "there is not always a right or wrong answer" which I have been trying to convince these kids of all year. Science is about trying things, not just spewing out facts. 
    Anyway, pretty good day yesterday and I am hoping for a repeat today. Just today and then a short day (for the kids) tomorrow. And then vacation. Almost there. 

 

No comments: