Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Bareback Pads

      I am getting closer and closer to finished with my various small items projects for my next live sale. The sale will be Friday, November 26th, at a time to be determined (but likely middle of the afternoon my time, as usual). I may think about doing an evening (my time) sale, which will bring things up for people on the west coast and might bring things into a reasonable time for people overseas. I need to look at the time difference, I have no idea really. 
     Anyway, the latest batch of finished items is bareback pads. I have been working on the small things in groups, as I usually do, with the idea that if I can get a handful of each type of thing finished now, I can move into working on dolls, and if I have time/energy/desire to make more small things closer to the sale, then I can do more of whatever type I feel like making. It's a good plan and so far, it's working. 
     The only issue I have found so far is financially I don't think I am doing good things for myself. Either I am working incredibly slowly or I am undercharging for a lot of the items I sell. I don't want to make them prohibitively expensive, but I need to be fair to myself. It's a tricky balance because I have been backhandedly accused of just being in the hobby for money, as well as many other artists who produce anything for the hobby. This isn't an idea that is exclusive to the hobby either, not by a long shot. Artists across the board are expected to give things away for "exposure". Or because people want them. Sadly, exposure doesn't pay the bills. On that note, here is a song that my friend posted on their Facebook page. It is awesome, but full of profanity (you have been warned).
     Unless I come up with any more new items, or make more of the types of items I have already finished, I am very close to done with small things. I still need to make hoodies, saddlebags, dog sets, and micro pouches (if I choose to make those). I am getting there. And so far at least, I am not stressed about it at all. 

No comments: