Thursday, October 7, 2021

Custom Progress

      I was bitten pretty hard by the customizing bug when I was working on my horse for the Breyerfest Best customs contest. I finished him up, he was far from flawless, but I wanted to work on another horse right away. I got a Winx body from my friend and immediately cut her head off. That's apparently what I do with horses now. I actually took off her entire neck and her tail. I had gotten as far as making her a wire support for her new neck, doing the basic shape in foil and covering it with a layer of epoxy. It ended up much thicker than I wanted so I dremeled the crap out of it so I had a better base to start putting her actual neck on. Then she went up on the shelf in the pantry and sat there for a good long while. 
      Until last Sunday. That was the day I finally decided the poor horse needed a neck. At least a neck, even if I didn't make it further than that. So I printed out some reference pics and got my horse out. 
      This was partway into the process. It didn't look horrible, but it sort of looked lumpy. Not old Breyer John Henry mold lumpy, but it's own special kind of lumpy. So I worked at it. A lot. And then some more. 

      I superglued some wires into the rear end of the horse so I could have a base for a tail. I have a plan, it may or may not work out. It's OK though, I own a dremel. 
      I covered the wires with a bit of epoxy, just to have a bit more of a base. It looks atrocious. But I think once I actually put a tail on it will be OK. So far though it is in the super scary ugly stage. 
     But at least my Winx has a neck now. It may be a bit off, but it is definitely the best neck I have ever done. I am sure everything will need to be cleaned up some, but at least I got a bit more work done on this poor horse. 
      As always I am just sharing a bit of my progress, I am not looking for advice, to know what I did wrong, to know how I can fix things, or anything else. I am enjoying the learning, the trial and error, and the attempt to apply things I have learned from watching other people. And I have to say, it's pretty fun.



2 comments:

Horse Tender said...

"It's OK though, I own a dremel." Ha! That's the best attitude and oh so true. A dremel is wonderful for doing and, maybe more importantly, undoing things! I love mine. :)

She is looking good! I have yet to do a neck from scratch. Someday I'll be that brave.

timaru star ii said...

I'm glad for the horse. It's always good not to lose your head.