Wednesday, March 9, 2022

A Week and a Half

     So it turns out a week and a half is as long as I could make it after the February break before classes started acting up and making me crazy and tired again. It was a good run, though far too short. Now I have to wait another 5 and a half weeks until April break. And I am tired. 
     The problem I have is even with the constant reminders, and with me actually taking phones away, the kids are often still on their phones. I don't like this game. I also don't like that kids think they can come strolling into class whenever they want. And when I ask if they have a pass (which they usually don't) I often get attitude about it. I'm tired of putting in maximum effort to try to teach these kids to just have them talk when I am talking, take out their phones as soon as my back is turned, or not even bother to come to my class. Or come in late and expect me to reteach them everything they missed. It's not OK. It's not cute. And it has been allowed in one way or another (though not by me) so there are certain ones that really do think that the rules don't apply to them. 
    I actually walked out of a class yesterday. Not in an irresponsible way. I said to the para that I was going for a walk, put my lab sheet down and went for a walk around the school. It was either that or start screaming at them. When I put in a large amount of effort to find or create interesting lessons, and they poo-poo it in some way (or don't bother to show up, show up late, etc.) it gets to a point when I just can't deal with any more. So I left. And when I came back I didn't feel like I was going to scream at them anymore. We did the lab, it went fine, and I will have to decide weather or not I want to bother with it again. 
    So yesterday was not great. It was not horrible, but it was not great. It also snowed, which was just bad. I really am sick and tired of it being winter. 
     When I came home I was exhausted so I took a bit of a nap. Then I struggled to get up and get anything done. But I managed to sew a couple of doll outfits, which really had been my only doll work plan of the day. It was a struggle, but I did it. 
     Today my plan is to work on dremeling some dolls. I really don't like dremeling. It's a big production to make it happen. But today is supposed to be about 50 degrees. Yesterday was 32 and snowing. Gross. We'll see. Maybe I can get the dremeling done and perhaps even get started on dressing a doll or two. I also have to do a bunch of rebuilding on a youth doll. I really don't like making youth dolls these days. 
     So that was an awful lot of negativity. Let's see if I can come up with something more positive. Today is Thursday, which is my favorite school day of the week. That is because I have no DLT, so have extra peace and quiet time to work on plans and so on. Usually without anyone bothering me. It is also the day before Friday, which is of course the last day of the week. And then it is the weekend. Yesterday I managed to work up another bunch of chemistry lessons. Some were, of course, assignments that I got from Laura, and some of them were free ones I found on Teachers pay Teachers. I think the next thing I need to do is work up the next batch of assignments for algebra, even if I don't put them in the plan book yet. I have some ideas. But this could be tricky. 
    Well today is a new day. I think I'm going to make it a good one. 
 

2 comments:

Adah R. (Spotted Dreams Studio) said...

Today is a good day to have a good day!

timaru star ii said...

Poor kid, I feel for you. Walking out is tough, but it's better than screaming, I agree. Congrats on making such hard choices. Some day those kids will appreciate your efforts, even if you don't see it.