Wednesday, April 13, 2022

A Finished Pair

     Sometimes it's a bad idea to make plans, because they just don't always work out. And I don't mean plans with friends or to do fun things, I guess I mean work goals. Sometimes it's a bad idea to make work goals because they just don't always work out. 
     And sometimes they do. 
    So yesterday after school Travis and I needed to swing by Walmart and get a tote. And then we needed to go to Aldi and buy bread and cookies (priorities) so I got a bit of a later start on the doll work than I wanted to. I was really hoping to get the vaulting doll and the guy in the suit finished. When I got started on them I started to rethink my goal, maybe I just would not have time to do it. And that could be OK. I could always finish them up today. But then I somehow managed to get both of them finished. And I didn't have to push myself too much to make it happen. 
      So here is the guy in a suit. I chose to go with buttoned coat for two reasons. One, I didn't have to make a belt, since you can't see if he has one on (I know some people get a kick out of the hidden details that only they know are there but I get a kick out of saving time and not adding bulk unnecessarily). The second reason is if this guy is going to be a handler for a vaulting horse, his coat should not be flapping around. That just seems like it would get in the way. So buttoned up coat. 
     And the vaulting lady now has bling and a face! So two more doll finished and they will be off to their new home soon. And I should probably think about updating my doll book and seeing just how many I have made. I have been slacking with my updating and have absolutely no idea. 
     It's funny, I have a student who acts like they are completely disinterested in everything. They don't want to do their work, often makes no effort, or very little, but they seem to listen to, and remember, everything I say. I told the kids when I started that the reason we do art (coloring, drawing, etc) is when we bring art into academics it makes both sides of the brain work, which then helps you to remember. And this one particular kid remembers every time I ask why I am "making" them color, that it is to help them learn. They also remember when the quiz is (today) that I mentioned many, many times, and no one else remembers because they are not listening. At least one of them is. I have another that listens to only a few words, then interrupts to try say what I mean, or the "correct" answer (which isn't always). It's quite frustrating to not be able to finish a sentence AND to hear an argument for everything that I say. I just have to get through today and I will be on break. Hopefully there is at least some decent weather this week. 

Random fact. 110 years ago today the Titanic sank.
 

1 comment:

timaru star ii said...

Hang in there. It's OK to vent a bit of frustration here (maybe more than a bit!) Sometimes your frustrations help me get a bit of new angle on mine, so thanks. You're not alone, that much is clear.

I had forgotten about the Titanic. I was quite the fan back in the 90s when the movie came out! Great music.