Sunday, April 10, 2022

OMHPS


     In December, I think, I entered an official OMHPS (Online Model Horse Photo Show) show for performance. I think while the judging was happening I went to the site to check in, but I mostly forgot about it. I got an email at some point recently, from the admin, saying that they needed my address to send me some prizes from the show. I like prizes, even though I definitely don't need more stuff. Last week a package arrived. And it was awesome. There were a couple of blind bag stablemates, these being the two I got. Some stickers, gummy bears that I want to eat (but can't) and a mug. I have a ton of mugs, but I really like this one. I like that it just has the simple horse logo on it. And I do really like the logo. So the stickers and mug can stay. I imagine Elecktra might eat the gummy bears for me. The stickers will become part of my sticker collection and the stablemates will likely go into a batch of things I am thinking of rehoming. I am pretty sure I have a bag of random things that I wanted to offer to a show holder for a pittance plus shipping. It can be hard to gather up a quantity of prizes and goodies for a show. 

    A couple of days ago I was thinking about OMHPS, because I was thinking about the cool prize pack I got in the mail, and I was looking around at the upcoming shows. It IS a cool site, and I do like the platform. It hasn't quite sparked an interest in showing again for me, but I haven't given up on it entirely. 
  
    On that topic, the topic of completely losing interest in something that you loved for so many years, has anyone been there and come back to it? I was an active collector, shower, and judge for 16 years. And now I have zero interest in showing, and also basically no interest in adding to my collection, and it seems really weird to me. I know that everyone is different, but I am curious if others have gone though something similar. 

    Our weather has been sort of getting better a bit at a time. Still a lot of rain in the mix, but the forecast for this week looks warmer. Even with all the rain. Maybe having some actual Spring weather will snap me out of my weirdness. That would be fantastic. I really wanted to go hiking on Saturday, but the weather would not cooperate. It would go from cloudy, to sunny, to downpours, to sunny, to downpour, to sunny, to hail, to thunderstorm... there really was not good weather that lasted long enough to go outside. Maybe next weekend. Four days until April vacation. 

5 comments:

Adah R. (Spotted Dreams Studio) said...

I am a judge for OMHPS, it is a really cool site! I love showing and judging through there. I've never left the hobby, but I know many who have. Love your goodies!

timaru star ii said...

Good question. I'm blaming Covid for my current burn-outs -- it appears a perfect evil. I believe I have the potential to return to anything I enjoyed in the past; but I'm also not taking it seriously if I don't. New fields to plow have become more important as I age, that's all.

That said, I do recognize I have a small, slow-burning bewildered resentment of those who entirely leave the hobby, which I've been in for more than 55 years.

Gretchen H said...

I left...mainly because the Shiba Inu breed in America needed me for a number of years. And then I had kids and they needed me. Both needed my money and time. ALL of it. I couldn't go to shows, make and sell, or buy. Stagnant collection. Recently we retired, I sold almost all of my collection and bought some new horses. But done of the $1000 and up that seems to have become typical of what is owned and shown by my friends/competitors back in the 70s and 80s. Way less DIY and more pros. So I'm in, but not all in. Can't afford that. But I still love horse stuff and little stuff.

Unknown said...

I'm pretty burnt out, too. Covid + the obligations and exhaustion of raising a small person have really drained me. There isn't much left for anything else and when those things come with lingering obligations? It's even harder to round up the energy. I can feel that I'm not done, though - I just need a season of rest (in all areas of my life, really, but especially the hobby).

Dellessanna said...

Late answer is late, but yes. I had a 15 year hiatus from showing. I showed up until my mid Twenties, and then life happened and I found that I had just become ambivalent towards the hobby. I just didn't have the money, and it didn't bring me the joy that it once did.

Namo brought me back, honestly. Discovered it in 2018...missed the sign up, but caught it in 2019. I had always been scared to paint resins. Took the plunge, and haven't looked back. I honestly think it's what you are getting from it, and where you are in your life.