Friday, April 15, 2022

Fun With Dolls

     Even though I have not had any desire to set up a show entry, or go to a live show, I do still really like dolls. When I got the regular, boring photos of the pair I finished the other day, I decided to take some fun photos. So the dolls got to dance. One of the things that I know I am good at is making dolls look less like dolls. It can take time and small tweaks to make a doll look less doll-like, and a bit more human. But this one is pretty nice. 
       I had another one, very similar to this, with the male doll looking at the camera. It was nice, but I really like how in this one he is looking at his partner. I'm not sure what it is about vaulting dolls, they always make me want to put them in dramatic poses. 

     A bit more dancing. It's tricky, since the male doll can turn his head, but it doesn't tilt up and down. Sometimes, like in this one, he looks very intense.
     I especially like this photo! I like how realistic the dolls look, though the guy is a bit stiff, and I like how they are interacting. He does kind of look like he may just drop her though! I also really like that this is all balance, there is nothing extra holding either of them up and they are not propped against the backdrop. 
     This last one was actually the first one I took. The guy looks sort of like he's not sure what to do with her. I think this would be greatly improved if he could tilt his head down a bit to actually look at her. His pant leg is also bunching weirdly and he looks like he has a broken hip. Or an exceptionally high knee.
     Even though I have not felt like setting up any 1:9 scale dollhouse scenes I did have a lot of fun playing with these dolls. The vaulting doll is nice and poseable (good, she should be!) and the guy in the suit is meant to be a handler for the team, but he does well as a dance partner. And the dolls amused me. Maybe I will find some more fun things to do this week. 

1 comment:

timaru star ii said...

On that last shot, he could be trying to shuffle sidewise, doing a bit of the twist, or maybe thinking about a kick? Or maybe he's just bowlegged from riding horses so much...