Thursday, April 14, 2022

Pep Rally


        Yesterday was a bit of  rough day for me. I have a kid, in two of my classes, who was being incredibly disruptive and immature. I know what you are thinking, this is nothing new in my classes. But this was beyond the normal level. There was the constant talking; while I was giving instructions, when they were taking a quiz, when I asked them to stop and do the work. There was the taking things from people, including puzzle pieces (because they wanted to put in the last piece) or other puzzle pieces because they wanted to help (that student did NOT want help and I was pleased they were doing a puzzle after the work was done instead of sleeping). Then the worst happened. The overhead lights were turned on. Now the big reason that I have 5 lamps in my room and keep the overhead lights off is they make me angry. Like, really really angry. They cause eye strain, and more headaches than with the lights off, and they just make me angry. And I can't stand when kids play with the lights, the phone, my Chromebook, etc. And the lights got turned on. And I yelled. Loudly. Kind of a lot. There were phrases like "you are not 5 years old, stop taking things that don't belong to you and poking people" and fun things like "do you think there might be a reason I keep the lights off?".  Also, side note, I almost got another migraine today. I could feel one thinking about starting. There is in fact a reason I keep the stupid lights off. 

      So that whole thing made me incredibly angry. Not just a little bit annoyed, but like, super angry. I am sick and tired of the kids being irritating and disrespectful on purpose. They never once think of anyone but themselves, and really don't have any idea what they are doing to the staff. Or worse, they just don't care. Or even worse, they know what they are doing and like it. But on the other hand, while I was telling one of my hallway neighbors what was going on (they were surprised that I had had to yell, I just don't do that) a kid that used to be in one of the classes called to me down the hall (WITH my name! Apparently he hasn't forgotten it!) and asked who they had to mess up for giving me grief and they could hear me hollering in the office upstairs (which is literally, right up the stairs... but still) and they said they had my back. It was a good natured comment (as good natured as who do I have to mess up can be, lol) and sounded like respect to me. There are plenty of kids who don't want to do work. But they don't actively try to make the people around them crazy. So yeah, I had a really bad hour or so (it took me a good long while to stop being angry) and then it was time for pep rally. I hate pep rally. 

     The funny thing is, when you volunteer to be an official, and when pep rally is outside, it is actually not bad at all. I didn't have to be right up near the stands full of loud kids. With it being outside I didn't have to wonder why I forgot my ear plugs (yes, I absolutely bring ear plugs to pep rally). Being an official puts you right up next to all the games. It's our job to watch to make sure the kids aren't cheating and be an extra set of eyes to see who wins each game. It was actually kind of fun. The games are silly and ridiculous, so there is a lot of laughing. And it was a gorgeous day, as you can see from the photo. I did not expect sun, so forgot my sunblock. My poor winter skin is a bit pink now. But it was a really nice end to a really bad day. And now I am on vacation until the 25th. I am going to enjoy every second of it.

2 comments:

Adah R. (Spotted Dreams Studio) said...

Sorry you had a horrible day! Hoping your vacation is awesome and sunny everyday. :)

timaru star ii said...

Congratulations on enjoying a rally. I always think a bit of sun is good for a person.