Sunday, April 24, 2022

Sometimes You Just Have To


      Have you ever gotten an idea and you just had to jump in and see if you could work it out because you just could not get it out of your head? That happens to me with stuff I make every once in awhile. I get this idea in my head and just have to work it out. Sometimes it is the design for a doll, this time it was drawstring bags with pockets. I love pockets. Pockets are fantastic! Elecktra and I often joke about pockets, which is a reference to Donna from Doctor Who when she is insisting to the Doctor that she is in her wedding dress and has no pockets. I gave Elecktra a dress recently, that has pockets, and she was very impressed. I love pockets. And yesterday I got this idea in my head that I just HAD to make a drawstring pouch with pockets. And I needed to use some material I had left over from a doll I did recently. The fabric is weird and kind of hard to work with, but it has some amazing drape to it. Admittedly, it does not make the best pockets, but I made pockets. And I got them onto part of the pouch so in the end everything would come together nicely. 

     I had all the pieces prepped to do a couple of round pouches, with pockets, and a couple of rectangular pouches, with pockets. But this material really is not great to work with, so I made one round pouch and one rectangular pouch, but it only has the pockets on one side because I noped at putting the side seams on any more pieces. I do love pockets, but I don't loke making myself crazy. You would think I did (love making myself crazy) as much as I seem to do it. 
     I actually really like both of these pouches, though the round one is still a work in progress. Not this particular one, I gifted it to a friend, but the style. I really want there to be 4 small pockets, which means a bit more reworking of the pattern bits until I can get it to work. And likely using a different material next time because this stuff, while beautiful when it all came together, really is horrendous to work with. I like the overall size of this pouch and the basic concept, so I will get there with this soon enough. Often I can do all of the design work for a project in my head and everything comes out really well, I have a lot of experience after all. But then sometimes things need to be prototyped a couple of times until they work. But it's all part of the process, and currently I am enjoying this process. 
     So here is something I know about myself. I like making things. I have always liked making things. I like making drawstring pouches, especially when they come out well. Here is something else I know about myself, I make things and then often don't even use them. Which is part of the reason I don't sew clothes for myself. I am a strange animal. Who is currently having a lot of fun making drawstring pouches. Maybe soon I will move on to making things with zippers. That is also something I really like. And now I have ideas...

 

No comments: